Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 I've learned a lot about duck hunting this year.. >

I've learned a lot about duck hunting this year..

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

I've learned a lot about duck hunting this year..

Old 10-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I've learned a lot about duck hunting this year..

I honestly can't believe how much I've learned about ducks this year, and season's not even halfway through! I always remember hearing if you wound a duck, it'll dive and hold on to weeds and strangle itself or whatever, but I'd never seen it happen. Then a couple weeks ago, I jumped a hen mallard and I hit her while she was going up. She fell into the rice and I watched in amazement. She was grabbing weeds and trying to escape, but the water wasn't deep enough to drown itself. That was a real shocker for me. Then just this morning, I jumped another hen, this time it was a bad shot, but it went down anyways. It's all cattails, long grass and wild rice, so I was worried we'd never find it. We looked for at least 45 minutes, walking around trying to spot it when my dad sees it. It was sitting under a couple blades of grass, dead still. I thought for sure that it would have spooked, we were not even 3 feet away and talking in loud voices. A quick wringing of his neck, and it was over. Sorry for such a long post, but just letting you guys know what I've found out.

Cory
Old 10-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I've learned a lot about duck hunting this year..

man do i hate to wound em...and not be able to get them ..but your right they do do that
Old 10-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow... learn something new everyday. i've never heard of them doing that.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:19 AM

Yeah last year my brother shot a drake mallard (which doesn't happen very often where i hunt) and it landed on the water and then dove. We got the boat out and went out there not remembering where it was and started looking around. Where we hunt, it gets pretty deep, you couldn't even see bottom of the river, just seaweed. About 5-10 minutes of looking, way down there i saw a little bit of orange.. it's feet. We took the oar and stuck it way down there andbumped it a couple of times until it was loose. That was the first one i've ever seen do that, but have seen a couple more try to do it. I guess they'd rather drown themselves than let us get to them.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well last year, it was late October, early November, and I hit a drake mallard as he was taking off. I saw him go down, and it was really windy, so it was hard to see exactly where he was. We got to where we thought he would be and he wasn't there. We looked for a good 45min-1hr before we gave up. I felt so sick to my stomach, I honestly couldn't shooot anything for a good 3 months. Taking all three instances into effect, I'm seriously considering getting a black lab or something along those lines, just so I don't have to go through all of that again.

Cory
Old 10-02-2005, 03:31 PM

duck hunti is fun
Old 10-02-2005, 03:38 PM

good stuff