HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Which of the two?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/114411-two.html)

millpond 09-26-2005 07:51 PM

Which of the two??

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new gun and I'm not going to spend the amount to buy my "perfect" duck gun. But I've narrowed my two down. I have a semi auto now and like that so here is the dilemma. I can strech the budget and get a rem. 11-87 sps waterfowlor get a benilli nova and have money to play with. Any feed back would be great.
Thanks, --Millpond

bowhuntr4ever 09-26-2005 08:24 PM

RE: Which of the two??

i would say go with the 11-87 because it is better built

have you looked at a 870 it is about the same price as a nova

JoeA 09-26-2005 08:41 PM

If youre set on a semi, look at the Stoeger 2000. They've been getting good reviews. It's built with Benelli's bolt system.

quackhead04 09-26-2005 09:46 PM

im not really crazy about the remington 11-87's. we hunted with a guy last year who had just bought one and the first day he had problems with it not kickin the shells out. if your only wantin one of those two guns id get the benelli nova, but i would strongly suggest buying a franchi varomax 3.5 my uncle bought one last year and its an awsome gun, especially for the price. its also a division of benelli like stoeger.

ductman 09-27-2005 08:39 AM

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS 2 WORDS STOEGER 2000

millpond 09-27-2005 10:05 AM

I was reading on the Stoeger websites forum and a few of thier post really didn't have much good to say about the 2000. does the rem 11-87 just have a break-in time. If anyone owns those guns thanks for the help. Also I heard that the Nova has a rattle. Thanks, --Justin

jepcho 09-27-2005 11:24 AM

I own a Remington 11-87, and I have a friend who has a Nova. I have shot them both. I love my 11-87!! Never had ANY problems with it. This past weekend, between duck hunting and clay shooting I easily shot 150 rounds through it and it never messed up! I did think the nova was a good gun but I didn't shoot it enough to get used to it. I kept forgetting to pump at first. They both are good guns, I would highly recommend the 11-87 to anyone though. Your choice if you want the extra money for something else but just choosing between the guns, I'd go with the 11-87 in a heartbeat.

Vinnybugg 09-28-2005 07:29 AM

I just finished up early season goose with a Nova and didn't have a single problem!! The gun swings nice and for the price it can't be beat. You mentioned the rattle. That's cured by just tightening the two allen screws on the side of the forearm just enough to remove the rattle but not to much to hinder the cycling of the gun...Over all it's a great gun, its' damn ugly, but the way I see it is, this gun is meant to be shot and who really cares what it looks like if it shoots great.

20 Fan 09-28-2005 09:44 AM

Millpond:

Had exactly the same delimma last season. Wanted the 11-87 (personally love them), but couldn't find a good used one for under $500. While I have always shot autos for upland game, I went with the Nova and have not been disappointed. New in the box with three choke tubes, the gun cost me $350. The good points include the durablility (single piece synthetic stock), price, weight (8 lbs.), and ambient-light sight. The gun does rattle, and was a bit too long for my comfort. I took off the recoil pad and fitted the butt with a piece of acrylic to fit the hole. Will probably pay for that during goose season with 3 1/2's, but will deal with it. Still getting used to pumping, but the gun does what it's supposed to do, which is kill birds.

Worc 09-28-2005 06:34 PM

I don't like the Remington semi auto shotguns for many reasons. They are very heavy with poor balance (for me). Their quality is sloppy and they lack manyfeatures other models in their class have. Because the design is antiquatedthey don't cycle the range of shells like better gas guns do.They also will not go as long between cleanings if need like better designs. For the money in the 3" class there are much better choices like the Beretta 390,3901,Pintail/ES100, Franchi 612,712,I-12, Weatherby SAS, Winchester SX2. With the $100.00 rebate on the Browning Golds and Winchester SX2's to the end of next month. You can almost get a new Browning Gold for the same price.