HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Goose Decoys (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/112770-goose-decoys.html)

4simpsons 09-14-2005 12:22 PM

Goose Decoys

I've hunted geese for years with some of my dad's friends. They have all kinds of decoys and hunt in field pit blinds. We are going to try and branch out and do some field hunting from coffin blinds. We've got some money saved up. Maybe 5 or 6 hundred dollars. I'm just curious, if you guys were going to go buy some decoys and were going to start from scratch, what would you buy and how many of each kind?

Thanks.

Mike

deadstick 09-14-2005 02:53 PM

RE: Goose Decoys

I'd by the new Avery full-bodies (I personally have BigFoots and GHG's - the GHG's look better, the Bigfoots are more durable, and the Avery looks to me to have both for the same price as Big Foots - $300 per dozen). I'd start with a couple dozen of those and a dozen magnum shells. If you can't afford the Bigfoots, just get some shells. I personally am not a silhouette fan, although they are very manageable (don't take up much space) and somewhat affordable (overpriced for what they are IMO).

For ducks, the Flambeau enticers were my favorit until this year - Hardcore has some really nice ones (currently on sale at Cabela's I think - but also somewhat expensive).

For $500, you should be able to get 1 dozen fullbodies and nearly 2 dozen shells - I'd probably start there and then add fullbodies as you can afford it (that's what we did - started with shells and gradually bought full bodies until we had enough and barely use the shells any more).

4simpsons 09-14-2005 07:18 PM

Thanks for the thought. That was the line of thought that I had. What brands of shells do you like? I was thinking about ghg shells with motion stakes.

Mike

Md25 09-14-2005 10:07 PM

yea go all ghg the shells and fullbodies are amazing.with the flocked heads cant beat that.dont forget to get a flag i like the foiles ones.

Scrapdawg 09-14-2005 11:46 PM

You for sure need some kind of motion. Flagging will work. As far as silohettes you can make your own once you get a pattern.

[/align]

Gundigest 09-15-2005 02:34 AM

I don't like the GHGs for a few reasons, while they do look good the head and feet system sucks.The heads screw on and we have a problem with a couple of ours that wont go on all the way and then they fall off. The feet are to complicated and some times it is a struggle to get them on. The Big Foots and Judges are much easier. We haveall three I got the Judges on sale 8 for $50 and they work good and look good but if I was going to pay full price I would go with the Big Foots. They are easy, durable and look good to. If flocked heads are improtant to you GHG makes flocked heads for the Big Foots, 6 heads for $25 (cheaper than the Big Foot replacement heads). If I had $500 to spend I would get 12 Big Foots (1 active and 2 feeder packs) ($300), 12 Silhouettes ($100), 6 Flambeau Magnum shells ($75), and a flag ($25-40). This will give you a variety of decoy positions thay would look more realistic than all standing or sitting. And you would be starting off with 2 1/2 dozzen. I don't like the carrylites the paint dosent stay on them very well at all.

talehunter 09-15-2005 02:53 PM

We do well with a mix.A dozen full bodies,2-3dozen shells and2-3dozen sillouettes.When lazy just the sillouettes have done fine,but more is always better.

DuckNdeer 09-16-2005 08:46 AM

these are all good suggestions. take from them what you can, and use what works in your area. Maybe ask around your local huntin' shop and see what the other local hunters use.