Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 My check list of what I need,  (first season) >

My check list of what I need, (first season)

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

My check list of what I need, (first season)

Old 08-24-2005, 07:04 PM

Default My check list of what I need, (first season)

This is going to be my first year of hunting and next weekend starts early goose hunting in IL. I am just not sure what I need all together.

This is what I have so far.

Nice Camo Jacket 4in1 so I can adjust for weather
Reminton 870 (chokes Mod and Improved)
20 Rounds of Ammo right now. Going to get more Saturday
Waist band Ammo holder
Getting the last of my stamps Saturday
Duck and Geese Decoys weighted
One very tall Yellow Lab that this will be his first time hunting.

I know I need waiders and a good knife for cleaning. I am just not sure whatelse to pick up. I have $125 ingiftcardsand about another $100 I can pull gether in cash from the $200 that I spent last weekend.

BTW is there a good site that shows me how to clean a bird? I have never done this before also.

I am hunting in heavy grass and swamp lands if that makes a differnce. I would like to try a caller but I am not sure how to learn how to use it.

All I have to say though this first goose is going to be my most expensive bird I will ever eat. With the gun and supplies and prictice I think I will spent about $1000 getting my first season down. O well I can not wait till next weekend!!!!

Thanks for your help or tips
Old 08-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My check list of what I need, (first season)

As far as cleaning, I start at the front of the breastbone and slice to the rear, just through the skin, then I peel the hide down each side until the breast meat is completely exposed, once that is done i fillet down from the breastbone ending up with a fist size oval fillet of goose breast, thats all I do....
Old 08-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

As far as a call for starting out any flute will have you blowing realistic honks in no time. Just start with clear honks and practice, listen to real birds and get an instructional tape. Good luck!

Also make sure your face is covered well with a good facemask
Old 08-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

......buy LOTS more shells.

once that is done i fillet down from the breastbone ending up with a fist size oval fillet of goose breast, thats all I do....
Adam, that "fist size" fillet seems awful small does`nt it?

Ron

Old 08-25-2005, 01:29 PM

Yeah or you could just pay to get them plucked, like carp said any flute will do and it doesnt have to be expensive sean mann has a nice one and it comes with an instructional tape for bout 40 bucks other than that the best way to learn is get out there and be there early good luck and keep us posted on how you do.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:29 PM

veener88,

You can by flutes for cheap and they all pretty much sound like geese.But, shortreeds, now your talking business.When you get to making the sound you are looking for andonce you get the basic sounds down on a shortreed, there is nothing better to help you bringing in geese. I'll tell you want, pm me your address and i will send you a free shortreed goose callwith an instructional tape. It's a HS Slammer Shortreed Goose Call. This call is a very good beginner call and even some very talented goose callers use this call. I have never used it hunting, just blown it a few times, but i will be sure to clean the call very good before i send it. If you want this call just pm me, and just incase you do, listen to the instrcutional tape before you decide you don't want the call(it helps out alot).

Will
Old 08-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

get a sling for your gun. no. get swivels for your gun and buy a piece of nylon webbing to make a sling. the swivels are about 10 bucks or less, the nylon webbing from walmart's sewing dept should be no more than $2. i put that kind of sling on my sbe when i bought it, the gun is a few years past its 5 year warranty. the sling is still there.

get a 5 shot bandolleer. you can keep 5 shells right on your stock. it's very handy when you need shells in a hurry. 4 bucks.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:56 PM

I would have to disagree with the flute for a first call. I would recommend a short reed for your first. Just my opinion. I am fairly new to goose calling but I just find my calling sounds better on a short reed compared to a flute.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:54 PM

Yeah a short reed sounds a lot better but its also alot hard to blow id star with a flute then move up to a short reed.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:54 PM

I was thinking of getting this from the bass pro shop tomarrow.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=64663&hvarDept=400&a mp;hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=5&hvarSubCode= 6&hvarTarget=browse

I can not find any flutes with a how to with it.

Quick Reply: My check list of what I need, (first season)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.