Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Global Warming impacts on Waterfowl >

Global Warming impacts on Waterfowl

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Global Warming impacts on Waterfowl

Old 06-29-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Global Warming impacts on Waterfowl

Hi. I'm with the National Wildlife Federation and was wondering if anybody had seen the article in Sunday's New Orleans Times Picayune, "Global warming threat to waterfowl" by Bob Marshall:

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index...9082261270.xml .

It talks about a report we've just released about what higher temperatures from global warming may do to prime duck habitat. I'm curious about what folks think about it. What has the duck hunting been like in the last few years where you are?

The National Wildlife Federation does a lot of work with issues relating to hunting and angling. Many of our affiliated organizations across the country work to conserve the outdoors for recreational purposes.

Check out the report itself on our website:
http://www.nwf.org/globalwarming/ducks.cfm
Old 06-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Global Warming impacts on Waterfowl

did not hear about it im inthe N Y so thenews didnt get up here
Old 06-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I dunno bout the BS of Global warming yet, things have always cycled.............hard to say...
Old 06-30-2005, 12:28 AM

i havent read the article but i can say duck hunting has gottend progressively worse i remember when i was a little guy at our favorite blind the sky would be black with ducksalmost every sat. we went out but it seems like there are fewer and fewer ducks every year.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:46 PM

id have to agree with that 100 percent! in the past few the years it has sucked some big ones. in the 99-2000 duck season we could limit out everyday. but in the past few years we might have killed one days limit all year. i hunt close to where the wabash and ohio river meet and also hunt in horseshoe bend off of the ohio river. last year was one of are best years in while and we killed 5 ducks and 8 geese, and most of the geese were resident geese.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find that the snow geese have moved there flight path father west. We used to hunt snow geese just north from where I live but for some reason and I’m not if it has to do with global warming but now we don’t see them around here any more. Just the occasional flocks. We have allot more Canada geese and still have lots of duck but the snows are nearly out of the picture unless you drive about an hour and a half west.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

The glaciers are the "canaries in a coal mine" on this issue. What's happening is happening, the politics are in the reporting of what facts. It boils down tofiguring out who or what's to blame.

Is it the "fault" of buring fossil fuels? Sure more greehouse gas emissions into the atmosphere come from volcanos than engines. The question is, are the emissions from fossil fuels contributing to the problem?

To argue that loss of wetlands won't lead to lower watefowl populations (or lower populations of arctic & antarctic animals for that matter) is stupid and only serves to divert discusion away form the root of the problem.

Whatshould be done about it? That's the question that need to be addressed, and it's not an easy question to answer.