HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wanted (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wanted-64/)
-   -   Y'all got hides for me? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wanted/413259-yall-got-hides-me.html)

baymolly 04-21-2017 08:20 AM

Y'all got hides for me?

Hey everyone.
I'm a beginner traditional hide tanner, and wanted to post here to see if there's anyone who would be interested in passing along their hides for good use!
This is for hunters who want to make sure their harvests are getting the full respect and use out of them, or for hunters who have too many hides and don't know what to do with them!
I'd be happy to send you back your tanned hide if you're patient with me, but mostly I'd hope you'd just be happy they were getting use out of them.
Located near the Bay Area in CA but happy to pay any shipping costs.

Hoping to hear from yall!

flags 04-21-2017 09:05 AM

Wrong time of year for most hunters. You'll be better off making this request along about Oct. Most hunters don't keep the hides around for several months after the season ends. I shot my last deer on Jan 05 and left that hide in the field and I'm pretty sure most hunters do the same unless there is a reason for them to bring them home.

txhunter58 04-21-2017 02:09 PM

One of my crew may shoot an axis deer in the near future, so if so, I will send you a PM and see what we can work out.

furgeson 04-21-2017 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4301581)
Wrong time of year for most hunters. You'll be better off making this request along about Oct. Most hunters don't keep the hides around for several months after the season ends. I shot my last deer on Jan 05 and left that hide in the field and I'm pretty sure most hunters do the same unless there is a reason for them to bring them home.

Any hide no matter condition can be put to good use. Alot of people wouldn't want to waist it

Oldtimr 04-22-2017 04:47 AM

Are you going to pay for the shipping, cash on delivery? Green hides are heavy and expensive to ship.

flags 04-22-2017 12:45 PM

Not to mention that very few hunters will have any green hides right now. I sure as heck don't know anyone that tries to salvage the hides or keeps them after the season. Unless a hunter has a reason for bringing the hide home all the guys I know leave them for the coyotes to chew on. But then I mostly hunt in areas where I'm not bringing whole deer/elk out of the woods. I skin and bone them on the spot where legal (not legal in TX by the way, here I skin, qtr and put them on ice) and just bring out meat.

Oldtimr 04-22-2017 12:56 PM

Very few hunters in PA keep their hides unless they want to make something with them. Even the Pennsylvania Game Commission who use to keep all hides from illegals and road kills no longer keep them for years now. When Europe, namely Italy was buying them at a decent price, it was worthwhile, that is no longer the case. Last I heard is they are selling for about two dollars which makes it not cost effective to salt and stack them till spring when the buyers used to come around. Some butcher shops will knock off about 2 bucks from your fee if you leave the hide with them. However, unless they get a lot of hides, it isn't worth their while either.

CalHunter 04-22-2017 01:24 PM

This topic has been moved to the appropriate Classified sub forum. The duplicate topic in another forum has been deleted. For the OP, please review the rules as any further violations will result in a temp ban up to a permaban, depending upon the violation.
CalHunter