Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
Shotgun Mic Recommendations for Canon GL1 >

Shotgun Mic Recommendations for Canon GL1

Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Shotgun Mic Recommendations for Canon GL1

Old 06-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Spike

Default Shotgun Mic Recommendations for Canon GL1

Looking for recommendations on a shotgun mic for a Canon GL1. I do not know much about them so looking for any feedback. Do they hook directly to the camera or do you need an adaptor? I am looking to spend $200 or less.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by brodyb51
Looking for recommendations on a shotgun mic for a Canon GL1. I do not know much about them so looking for any feedback. Do they hook directly to the camera or do you need an adaptor? I am looking to spend $200 or less.
I use a Sennheiser MKE 400 currently.. I really love it! Great mic, especially for the price.. They run for around $200 but you may be able to find a deal on one somewhere for around $150.
If you are just going to be using a Shotgun Mic as your only Audio input then you can plug it directly into the camera in the Mini Audio Jack but if you plan to run a Shotgun Mic and a Wireless at the same time then you'd need an adapter.

If you're going to do both Wireless and Shotgun, here is the adapter you would need.... http://www.google.com/products/catal...CAcQ8wIwADgA#p
It is a Beachtek DXA-4P.. It screws in to the bottom of your camera and you plug it into the Mini Audio Jak.. It allows you to hook up two Audio sources via XLR Inputs.. But in order to plug in your Wireless and Shotgun to the XLR adapter, you will need a couple Mini Audio to XLR cables in order to plug them into the adapter.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Spike

Thanks Bone Driven, that was very helpful. I think I am going to just start with the shotgun mic but will most likely want to add wireless. I have been shooting my own hunts for a couple years now but the stock mic on my GL1 is lacking. Do you think the shotgun mic will be enough or will I need wireless as well?
Old 06-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by brodyb51
Thanks Bone Driven, that was very helpful. I think I am going to just start with the shotgun mic but will most likely want to add wireless. I have been shooting my own hunts for a couple years now but the stock mic on my GL1 is lacking. Do you think the shotgun mic will be enough or will I need wireless as well?
Yea I wouldn't rely on the onboard mic either.. a good shotgun mic is one of your best investments along with supports (Tripods/Tree Arms)
Audio quality and steady footage is what's going to make or break you.

A shotgun mic alone will do you fine in most cases, you can get away with only a shotgun mic for sure! In most cases, you will have the cam in the same tree as you and with a good shotgun mic you should be able to pick up everything (Whispers/Quiet Talking).. Wireless mic is really only needed if you are hunting a distance from your cameraman, walking ahead of him with your back turned to the camera (trailing a deer) and maybe a few other cases such as interviews and hero shots.. but even for interviews and hero shots a wireless isn't NEEDED, just recommended when focusing on the voice in specific, rather than trying to catch all the sounds in the forest, if you know what I mean.