Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

what camera?

Old 02-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default what camera?

I want to get into wildlife photogarphy but i have no clue what camera to get, I want a affordable but good camera. Any suggestions?
Old 02-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Spike

Man, I wish I could give you a simple answer but, there's so much to wildlife photography.....

That "affordable" part, whew.

At the most basic level I would say an SLR, (nowdays digital), and a long lense, 200mm at least, 400mm better, add a teleconverter, multiplier, extender (whatever) which will cost you some speed but can give you more "tele" on the cheap and that should get you started.

Actually, my best advice would be to do a search for "wildlife photography" or "learn wildlife photography" and dive in to the deep end of the pool. Once you have a good idea of exactly what you want to do, and how you want to do it, you can decide on your "system" needs. Hang out at some wildlife photography forums and look for camera/lense reviews in your price range.

I'm not trying to discourage you (at all), it's been a passion of mine for some thirty years now and I'm still learning.

That's probably not the answer you were looking for but I hope it helps some.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BowNC
Man, I wish I could give you a simple answer but, there's so much to wildlife photography.....

That "affordable" part, whew.

At the most basic level I would say an SLR, (nowdays digital), and a long lense, 200mm at least, 400mm better, add a teleconverter, multiplier, extender (whatever) which will cost you some speed but can give you more "tele" on the cheap and that should get you started.

Actually, my best advice would be to do a search for "wildlife photography" or "learn wildlife photography" and dive in to the deep end of the pool. Once you have a good idea of exactly what you want to do, and how you want to do it, you can decide on your "system" needs. Hang out at some wildlife photography forums and look for camera/lense reviews in your price range.

I'm not trying to discourage you (at all), it's been a passion of mine for some thirty years now and I'm still learning.

That's probably not the answer you were looking for but I hope it helps some.
ha ha no that was great thanks!
Old 02-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

give the guys at camera land a call,there are some really good post on wildlife on the monstermuleys.com forum also
Old 02-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Thankyou for the advice!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Start with a good dSLR. I'm a Nikon man, but Canon also makes good cameras. Which ever brand you choose, you will be locked in once you start buying lenses, because the lenses do not cross over.

I've got a D90, and for wildlife I use a 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 AF-S VR Nikkor lens. Not cheap, but it takes great pictures. My next lens will probably be somewhere in the 200 or 300 mm 2.8 lens. Most of the best shot opportunities are early morning/late evening, and the more light the lens lets in, the better.

I'm not a fan of teleconverters on lenses that are not at least 2.8 lenses. Shutter speeds get so slow as the light fades, it is hard to freeze the animal's motion.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Talking

ok thanks
Old 04-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

I can try to help but I can only tell you what i know. I recently purchased a Canon XSI kit. This is a digital SLR and it is the 12.1mp Camera that comes with a 18-55mm image stabalization lens. (trust me, the I.S. is worth it's weight in gold.) This kit will cost you between $550-$650 online. Then you can purchase a 75-300mm IS lens. (About another $550) This will be plenty for the common photographer like myself. I know this sounds like a lot of money but you need to remember, this will be used for wildlife AND cherished memories with your family. When I am 90 and cant remember my name, I want good photo memories to remind me that I was not always old and fat. haha

Now, they make a new Canon T2i that is 15.1mp. I spoke to a family friend whom is a professional photographer and did our wedding pics. She is VERY GOOD. I asked her if the 15.1 mp was worth the extra $150 and she told me no. She said she owns 5 cameras and only 1 of them is over 12 mp and she never uses it. Everyone gets caught up in the "more MP means I can blow up the pic really big." She told us that a 12 mp camera will look fantastic at any size that we will enlarge a pic too. I believe her because we have a wedding pic blown up to 14"x20" and it looks phenomenal. Hope all this helped.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Canon SX20IS camera. It comes with a lens that goes to 560mm equivalent optical zoom. I bought one for my son and he loves it. The price is right, too.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Spike

"It comes with a lens that goes to 560mm equivalent optical zoom."

OK, now we need to explain some technical stuff.

The Canon SX20IS comes with a 5 to 100mm zoom lens, it uses a 1/2.3 size sensor which means it has a "crop factor" of 5.6.

The crop factor refers to the sensor size as compared to a 35mm frame size. In this case the sensor is (much) smaller than a 35mm frame which means the image will be cropped by the smaller size of the sensor.

They call it a 28 to 560mm "equivalent" because 5mm x 5.6(the crop factor) = 28 and 100mm x 5.6 = 560, so it is not really a 28 to 560mm zoom it is a 5 to 100mm zoom "cropped" to the "equivalent" of a 28 to 560mm zoom (which is intentionally misleading).

Buyer beware!

Last edited by BowNC; 04-16-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Because I can't type worth a fig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.