Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

what camera?

Old 04-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BowNC
"It comes with a lens that goes to 560mm equivalent optical zoom."

OK, now we need to explain some technical stuff.

The Canon SX20IS comes with a 5 to 100mm zoom lens, it uses a 1/2.3 size sensor which means it has a "crop factor" of 5.6.

The crop factor refers to the sensor size as compared to a 35mm frame size. In this case the sensor is (much) smaller than a 35mm frame which means the image will be cropped by the smaller size of the sensor.

They call it a 28 to 560mm "equivalent" because 5mm x 5.6(the crop factor) = 28 and 100mm x 5.6 = 560, so it is not really a 28 to 560mm zoom it is a 5 to 100mm zoom "cropped" to the "equivalent" of a 28 to 560mm zoom (which is intentionally misleading).

Buyer beware!
I don't know if you have used the camera or not, but I don't feel there is anything to beware of. As stated, I bought one for my son, and he is getting excellent photos with it. Your observation that "cropped" to the "equivalent" of a 28 to 560mm zoom (which is intentionally misleading)."
I don't feel the terminology is misleading at all. It has been well known since the earliest digital SLRs that the sensors are not, until recently, the same size as full a full frame of 35mm film. I feel that the terminology puts the effective optical zoom of the lens in a form that most people can understand.
The camera is just a tool. Learning to use one properly is the real key to success in photography.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited by Steve F.in MD; 04-17-2010 at 07:05 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Spike

Hey Steve.

I believe you may have misinterpreted my last reply and that's probably my fault.

When I said "Buyer Beware" I didn't mean "Beware" of the Canon SX20IS, I meant "Beware" of misleading marketing and advertising claims.

For example:

"8 megapixel image quality" or "8 megapixel performance" means it's a 6mp camera "enhanced" to 8mp.

or (as jimmy mentioned):

"The more megapixels the better"
(for more on this check here: (http://petavoxel.wordpress.com/2010/...indle-example/ )

and:

28-560mm "equivalent"

"The camera is just a tool."

You are absolutely correct. But, let's not overlook using the right tool for the job. The SX20IS may be an excellent "Point and Shoot" camera for someone new to photography. Can you use it for wildlife photography... of course you can, but... is it really the right tool for wildlife photography? I guess the answer would depend on whether you are a person with some photography experience who would like to specialize in wildlife photography or you are a beginner looking for your first camera. In the case of the latter, consider the SX20IS, in the case of the former,consider the DSLR.

Let's face it, the photography market, like many other markets, preys on the uninformed consumer.

What I'm really trying to say is: Don't just take the word of a camera salesperson, or the glorified product descriptions you find on the web, do your homework before spending your hard earned pennies.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Edit: To reply to your edit.

"I don't feel the terminology is misleading at all. It has been well known since the earliest digital SLRs that the sensors are not, until recently, the same size as full a full frame of 35mm film. I feel that the terminology puts the effective optical zoomof the lens in a form that most people can understand."

I disagree. I believe it is misleading and most people don't understand the terminology.

Last edited by BowNC; 04-17-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Spike

try to look at nikon D90 DSLR camera, a very good shot

here are kinds of nikon DSLR cameras
Old 06-11-2010, 01:47 AM
Spike

If photography is a minor goal of the trip, take a camera that is easy to carry. See "Best Digital Cameras" for our current recommendations. Concentrate on the Compact category; the Ultra Compact cameras don't make sense for the trip of a lifetime. A lens that zooms out at least as far as a 28mm perspective is essential, a feature found on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2. Keep in mind that these cameras aren't very rugged or reliable. Be prepared to buy a new one halfway through your trip.