HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Video & Photography (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/video-photography-86/)
-   -   Camera accessories (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/video-photography/298049-camera-accessories.html)

buckhunter12 07-16-2009 03:21 PM

Camera accessories

Hey guys,

Me and a buddy are considering purchasing a Canon GL2 camera to start doing a little videoing. Im just curious what accessories you guys would recommend to purchase along with the camera. We plan on going with the Muddy tree arm and I already have a tripod so we have those 2 items covered. What would you recommend we purchase also? Wireless mics, a fluid head...things like that. Any help you can give would be great, and don't be afraid to let me know what brands have worked well for you guys.

Thanks!

Pope94/IA 07-16-2009 04:31 PM

A few nights ago I ordered a Sony HDR-CX100 High Definition camera. It has good quality in low light situations so thats why I bought it. Make sure you read up on the canon gl2 to make sure it has the right qualities that would suite the hunting conditions.
I would suggest a wide angle filter for your lens. A strong carrying bag for your camera would also be nice to carry into the woods with you. Unless you are planning on making a DVD or something, a microphone probably wont be neccessary. Alot of cameras already have mics in them. There just not as good but they will still work.

I would also HIGHLY reccommend buying an memory card and extra battery and make sure its charged when you go into the field. It would really suck to run out of battery or loose memory if you have a monster buck infront of you.

Iowabucks44 07-17-2009 08:06 PM

Definately a fluid head also. You may possibly be able to use the one off your tripod. Unless it's a more expensive tripod, it more than likely wont have a "fluid" head.

lungbuster12point06 07-23-2009 06:25 PM

Shotgun mic with a good isolated mount, 3130 or 701 fluid head (made by Bogen) A minimum of 2 5600mHa batteries, XLR adapter for the shotgun and so you can add a wirelsss set up later, quality pair of headphones to monitor audio at all times.............The best accessory by far is the owners manual, read it cover to cover and learn all of the camera's manual functions for the best footage possible from the camera.

Siman08/OH 07-23-2009 06:39 PM

Fluid head is a must. I will be using one this year on my tree arm.

Urban Legend 07-23-2009 07:54 PM

Not to be a jerk, but.....

I would suggest a wide angle filter for your lens
That is the last thing I would recommend.

A strong carrying bag for your camera would also be nice to carry into the woods
I never use a bag when carrying a camera into the woods. Your camera man should have the camera in his hands. You never know when something might happen.

Unless you are planning on making a DVD or something, a microphone probably wont be neccessary.
Audio is just as important as video.

I would also HIGHLY reccommend buying an memory card
A memery card is only used if you take pictures with your video camera. Most point and shoots take better pictures.

extra battery and make sure its charged when you go into the field.
This is good advice.

Pope94/IA 07-24-2009 06:21 AM

I am a beginner and those were some things that I was told by a friend to get. Infact I just bought my camera last week and still havn't gotten it in the mail yet so I really can't recommend much by my opinion. I just went by my friends. Sorry...

lungbuster12point06 07-24-2009 10:39 AM

It's good to try to help but if you are a newbie, maybe giving advice isn't the best idea.

Urban Legend 07-24-2009 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Pope94/IA (Post 3391710)
I am a beginner and those were some things that I was told by a friend to get. Infact I just bought my camera last week and still havn't gotten it in the mail yet so I really can't recommend much by my opinion. I just went by my friends. Sorry...

I'm glad you are getting started in video. Welcome and enjoy. I wasn't trying to call you out but things like a fluid head and zoom control will make video a lot better and should be just as important to you as a camera. The audio too. It sounds like you are on your way though. Good luck.