HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Video & Photography (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/video-photography-86/)
-   -   starting out (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/video-photography/296900-starting-out.html)

hcummings 06-30-2009 07:08 AM

starting out

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and would like some insight on producing,editing,duplicating, and marketing hunting video's. So far I have purchased a Sony V1U camcorder, a wireless mic system, and a carrying bag. My next purchase is going to be a computer for editing. Then editing software, and a duplicator. I have been recording in 1080p hd but I am not sure if it is feasible to try and produce the video's in hd or not. I do not know how compatible they will be with most dvd players. Any advise on a computer system, editing software, and duplicator's would be great. My camera seems to take excellant footage. Still in a learning curve with it but getting better all the time.

Iowabucks44 07-02-2009 11:50 AM

RE: starting out

The only way to have the DVD in HD is to burn to a Blue Ray disc. They make blue ray burners for computers too. I'm guessing not alot of people can watch a BlueRay disc. Not the majority anyway.

I just started filming my hunts this spring with an HV20. I downloaded the trial version of Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9. I love it. There is a learning curve to any editing software though. It took me all of the 30 day trial to get it finished the way i wanted it and get about 7 copies burned off. I don't plan on selling any of mine or getting into it as far as you plan, so i can't help you much there.

Give it try. It's free for 30 days.

Bergcrane2 07-02-2009 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Iowabucks44
The only way to have the DVD in HD is to burn to a Blue Ray disc.
Not true. You CAN put HD video on a standard dvd, but only about 20 minutes worth.

hcummings 07-05-2009 04:33 AM

Thanks guys I do not think it will be a good idea to put the video's out in hd. I am going to check with one of the replicating companies and see if I can make my master in hd on a blue ray disc if they can make the replications in sd. This way I will always have the originals in Hd anyway. I have been leaning toward Sony Vegas Pro 9, but still open to suggestions.

Urban Legend 07-05-2009 06:29 AM

Your camera films in HDV. The way it is compressed take up no more room than SD. I would film in 1080 and nothing else.

hcummings 07-06-2009 03:56 AM

I have been filming everything in 1080. You said it compresses the video. How does it work when you burn your footage to a dvd. Do you have to use a blue ray disc or can you acheive hd by burning it on a regular dvd?

Bergcrane2 07-07-2009 12:18 PM

Your editing or authoring program will render it as an MPEG2 for a standard DVD.

lungbuster12point06 07-23-2009 06:39 PM

I would author the project to a standard DVD rather than authoring to Blu-ray and having the replication house re-author it to SD.......Don't waste your money on a duplication machine unless you plan to burn just a few copies of many different projects, duplication is more unreliable to work on most desktop players than replication is.

Sony Vegas is a good program for PC, if you go with a Mac system, final cut is the way to go.

Bergcrane2 07-23-2009 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by lungbuster12point06 (Post 3391415)
Sony Vegas is a good program for PC, if you go with a Mac system, final cut is the way to go.

I agree LB. Vegas has a ton of cool free plugins too. VASST is one example.