Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Lack of Footage.What about Helmet Cam? (long) >

Lack of Footage.What about Helmet Cam? (long)

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Lack of Footage.What about Helmet Cam? (long)

Old 12-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Lack of Footage.What about Helmet Cam? (long)

I find it quite difficult to get footage of bow hunts on whitetail bucks. My hopes at the beginning of each year is to get plenty of footage of good bucks and to get as many shots on video as we can then spend the winter editing and making DVDs to pass out and watch at deer camp the next year.

This year we had two shots on film one doe miss and one doe kill. We all got plenty of video of non-shooters and a few shooters out of range but no shots at bucks. Granted for us it was a slow year, we had only two shots at mature bucks (one miss and one kill) but we had several close encounters that video was not taken do to wanting to get ready for the shot. We have two camera arms that we use but the deer never seem to come in were expected and I know I don’t want to get busted adjusting a camera when I’m trying to kill a good buck.

We take turns videoing for each other and it’s nice to have someone to talk with on stand once in awhile but it has not been very productive over the years. This year we had camera men on a total of 20 bow hunts. I know it’s the best way to get good video but it can be tough when you have limited time in the woods.

We’ve brought our cameras to the woods since about 1996. This is what we have footage of so far:

· Turkey – 8 (gun)
· Whitetail Doe – 6 (bow)
· Bull Elk – 4 (bow)
· Black Bear – 4 (bow)
· Whitetail Buck – 1 (bow)

I would say hunting Whitetail would make up 90% of our time videoing hunts.

Our hunt club was talking about upgrading to a better camera maybe $1,400 to $1,600. I was wondering if that money would be better spent on getting helmet cams like the POV. They are going for $650-$700. The idea would be to use the helmet cam to get the shot than have the camera arm and regular v-cam out also to get filler footage like after the shot and drawing the bow, ext…….

Does anyone think getting a good helmet cam might help us get more deer hunts on video?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lack of Footage.What about Helmet Cam? (long)

You won't get the quality and story that you need to produce a really good production with a helmet cam. How often do you see them in TV / Videos? There is a reason for that. The footage just isn't good enough. If you want to add a helmet cam for a secondary shot (that really doesn't matter if it's not great), any additional angles that you capture make a huge difference in the edit.

There is no way to replace the brain and functionality of a cameraman. A hunter must hunt, a cameraman must film. That's the bottom line if you want good quality footage. Even with a cameraman, finding a good cameraman with experience is VERY difficult. Warm bodies aren't cameraman!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

As said by Todd, helmet cams are ok for a secondary,but no good for the primary camera.....................I will say however that you can get good footage self videoing if you plan ahead and know when to move, a cameraman obviously makes it easier, but not always better footage. You made the statement that you did not want to move the camera when a good buck came in.............you need to make a commitment to get the footage first and the shot second or you WILL NOT get any footage of big bucks going down on tape........simple as that.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Has anyone used a helmet cam?
Old 12-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

Yes..................they do not have good resolution or the ability to zoom in on the subject.