Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

3rd Arm tree arm

Old 08-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 3rd Arm tree arm

Most of the beefier arms these days use 2 ratchet straps on the base and I see the 3rd arm only uses one even on the Extreme. Although the base is universal have you ever had any issues getting it locked down with some of the heavier cameras?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:08 AM

No, I've not had any problems gettingthe 3rdArmlocked down solid with heavier cameras, including Sony XDCAM and Betas which are approaching 18-20lbs fully loaded.

I've never seen a beefier arm, much less onethat usestwo straps. Who are some of these beefier arms you are talking about? I'd be interested intaking a look at them.

I know theHBSniper Prowell and have used it a lot. Ituses one strap for the base. That arm is the number one reason why I started looking for another solution to my tree arm problem. That's when I found the 3rd Arm and I'm glad I did.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here are some of the arms I was referring to:

http://www.campbellcameras.com/p-140-dfo-tree-arm.aspx

http://www.huntercamcradle.com/hcc_pro.htm

Now that I look back through many of the other arms I've looked at I see they have one strap too. I guess it is more in the design of the base that allows the strap to provide stability.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Bama Buck

They should include a fluid head for the price though.
I have to agree with Fulldrawtx. I make an arm and it is amazingas tohow many different heads Im asked to put on these arms. I get requests for heads form the 700 rc2, 3130, up to the 501 HDV heads. Its hard to include a head since their so many options and price ranges. You say they should include a head "for just alittle more". Well your "just alittle more" is around $80 to $120. To me thats not " just alittle more". Not trying to start anything but it just the way it is fromthe buildersstandpoint.

Jay