Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Playback/editing equiptment >

Playback/editing equiptment

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Playback/editing equiptment

Old 07-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Playback/editing equiptment

Once a tape has footage recorded to it it will play back that footage on any camera, for instance, I shoot in 30p sometimes, but use my little GS120 for playback, the GS120 does not record in 30p but that makes no difference, same as audio once recorded it will playback regardless of what type of unit you use.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:31 PM

Audio is audio on the tape, it doesn't matter if it is from a wireless mic system, on camera mic, or shotgun mic, etc. [8D] As far as using a cheap camera as a deck, I might warn.... Why "dumb" down the footage, if you are shooting it on a good quality camera, you will be degrading the quality by playing it through a cheap camera when capturing it. The footage is only as good as the heads that are playing it. Also if you are trying to play and capture footage from various cameras, you will run the chance that the heads do not line up from camera to camera, and playback may not be possible from one camera to another, or it may have some other issues. While it can work as a cheap deck, if you are looking to do this for a living, I would look into a good quality Mini DV deck, it will be capable of playing and capturing footage from all brands of cameras without issues.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Once footage is recorded to tape it is what it is, the heads used for playback can't "dumb down" the footage, that's rediculous, the only time you would have an issue is when capturing Hd footage.

I do however agree that if you plan on editing full time you would be better off buying a deck for playback, it just makes things easier.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:45 AM

I disagree, there is sometime chances of drop outs and skipping, etc. that goes on with the camera heads not lining up correctly, etc when using a cheap camera as a deck. If you have not had that issue, then consider it lucky and you are fine as far as lining up with your camera, but I know for a fact that some tapes from some cameras will not always play in another camera, especially the cheap ones. As far as degrading the audio or image, it will not do this, but you WILL and CANexperience technical issues with the heads from camera to camera, whereas with a deck you will probably never encounter these issues, or the use of higher end cameras as a deck, usually won't have this issue. If you only are capturing footage from one camera and using a cheap camera as a deck and aren't having any issue, then great, but if you are pulling footage from mutiple cameras and multiple brands of cameras, you better get a deck!!!