HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Video & Photography (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/video-photography-86/)
-   -   Back up Camera (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/video-photography/246690-back-up-camera.html)

JakeinTX 05-20-2008 10:10 AM

Back up Camera

Hi All,

I currently use a Sony VX2000 to shoot with, but was looking at picking up a Canon GL1 as a backup/second camera. Any thoughts? Can a wireless mic work with this one?

Jake

Chasebaker 05-20-2008 02:38 PM

RE: Back up Camera

hey jake...

I'm about to buy a GL1/2.... its basically a conversion.

I'm interested in everyones thoughts and advice about them.

I know you have to have a XLR Adapter to run a Wireless Mic.....and you have to buy a shotgun mic as well because the cam mic won't run with the wireless mics on it.
Don't take my word on it..thats just what I heard

hoosierhunter2 05-20-2008 06:28 PM

Yes you can use a wireless mic on the GL1, it has a mini jack for external mics, and most wireless mics have both mini jack or XLR jacks to use. The only thing is that you can only use either the external mic or the on camera mic or mic connected through hot shoe. To be able to run multiple mics like a shotgun mic and wireless at the same time, you will need to buy a mixer. The mixer will plug into the mini jack on the camera, and the mics will plug into the mixer and you can adjust the levels there and send it into the camera. Make sense? A decent inexpensive mixer is the Azden Cam 3 mic mixer. Or you can buy a Beachtex XLR adapter/mixer. Also Canon has their own XLR adapter/mixer, although I don't like it that much. If you are going to be running multiple mics, don't buy the Canon DM-50 shotgun mic, it runs off the hot shoe and you won't be able to run wireless in conjunction with it then.

Chasebaker 05-20-2008 06:33 PM

I'm n0ot going to buy Wireless mics until I get a Newer/New cam....

The one I'm buying comes with a Shotgun mic....I know the guy and have filmed with ti before.

hoosierhunter2 05-20-2008 06:48 PM

Wireless mics are universal, doesn't matter on the camera. Depending on what you are filming, you may wish you had one to use. ;) Even an inexpensive Azden setup would be beneficial.

Chasebaker 05-20-2008 06:56 PM

Yea....but Right now..money is the problem....so I'll just use the SG Mic.....

Then..hopefully I get a XL2..and I'll buy Canon MA-100 and put wireless mics on it.

hoosierhunter2 05-20-2008 07:20 PM

If you get a XL2 you won't need the XLR adapter, the XL2 has an onboard XLR jacks and also a 4 channel mixer built in. So you are all good to go with a XL2. ;) Now if you get a XL1 or XL1s you will need the adapter.

Chasebaker 05-20-2008 07:32 PM

XL1s..sorry..been lookin at XL2s...and they all look alike to me almost!