HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Video & Photography (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/video-photography-86/)
-   -   Tape to Computer Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/video-photography/241538-tape-computer-question.html)

JakeinTX 04-09-2008 08:00 AM

Tape to Computer Question

Hi,

I recently bought a used Sony DCR VX2000 to start filming with. I have been playing around with the camera and so far have a hog kill on tape and a few other items. How do you guys move tape to computer? Do you use the camera or a VCR with Mini-DV tape adapter? I don't want to blow up the camera using it to move tape, or am I being paranoid?

Thanks
Jayson

spikeman 04-09-2008 08:19 AM

RE: Tape to Computer Question

Get a firewire cable and connect to your cam and computor. follow comp instructions.Put cam in vcr mode and play your tape and it will load.

MGH_PA 04-09-2008 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: JakeinTX

Hi,

I recently bought a used Sony DCR VX2000 to start filming with. I have been playing around with the camera and so far have a hog kill on tape and a few other items. How do you guys move tape to computer? Do you use the camera or a VCR with Mini-DV tape adapter? I don't want to blow up the camera using it to move tape, or am I being paranoid?

Thanks
Jayson
If you do a lot of capturing it's a good idea to get a capture deck. Over time the heads on your camera will wear out quicker if you continuously capture straight from the camera. A deck that accepts a mini-DV tape would suffice just fine.

HuntingBry 04-09-2008 09:41 AM

Capture decks can be quite expensive. If all you are looking to do is capture the video to your computer you could use a lower cost consumer camera to do your capturing. This will save the heads on your good camera and let you do what you need to until you can buy a deck.

MGH_PA 04-09-2008 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Capture decks can be quite expensive. If all you are looking to do is capture the video to your computer you could use a lower cost consumer camera to do your capturing. This will save the heads on your good camera and let you do what you need to until you can buy a deck.
Excellent advice. I should have mentioned if you are doing some HEAVY capturing and money isn't a factor.;)

spikeman 04-09-2008 10:50 AM

How long do the heads in your cams LAST?? Does anyone know this. If its a long time why get a 2nd one for capturing?

Kybar 04-09-2008 11:56 AM

I had a similar question about this topic...will the quality of my footage suffer if I use a consumer cam for capturing?

spikeman 04-09-2008 01:04 PM

I researched it and out of 35 pages on the subject it will not effect the quality. The tape is already embedded with what the user cam took. It is much cheaper than using a capture deck by far. As in tapes use the same brand as well in the deck cam if you use it for personal use as a back up camcorder.

lungbuster12point06 04-09-2008 10:31 PM

I agree , buy a cheap consumer cam and capture and do all rewinding/fast forward with it as well................nothing will take out the heads of your high dollar cam. faster than constaint rewind/ff and playback;)

Remeber too that after you capture the footage from your tapes, always rewind them to the beginning , they will store longer.

FarNorth 04-09-2008 11:01 PM

It's all dv, digital information coming from the tape. Camera heads will last hundreds of hours, but why wear them out capturing.
Use the heads on your good cam for shooting and use a consumer cam for capturing footage to your computer if you don't have the $$ to spend on a deck. I've been using the same consumer cam hooked up to my computer for 8 years I think. Just gotta run a head cleaner every once in a while.

Ken