Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 HOW TO START YOUR OWN HUNTING SHOW >

HOW TO START YOUR OWN HUNTING SHOW

Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

HOW TO START YOUR OWN HUNTING SHOW

Old 08-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: HOW TO START YOUR OWN HUNTING SHOW

I just found this forum today and wanted to give my 2 cents worth. I have a BOS degree, majoring in Mass communication/ television production. I didn't pursue a career in in TV after graduation but I came away from college knowing what really matters is content. You can get good quality footage out of a $3000.00 camera that rivals the $30,000.00- $40,000.00 high 8's or betas that we use to use...not to mention the hundreds of thousands dollars in equipment that it took to edit the footage. With so many people able to produce videos the real challenge is to come up with something that stands out from the others.

Regardless of how you feel about Tred Barta, his productions are captivating because they are the real deal. He does public land hunting, goes fishing with 3 lures and not 100 of every kind because 3 is all hecan afford. He makes entire shows from one hunt. You don't need to have a kill every 2-3 minutes to make a good quality show. Think about what you want to relate to your audience and develop a creative process to give them what they want. Seeing 10 monster bucks killed in one video is fun for a while. Most of the hunters don't have the prime hunting ground and land management that the Prime time or Drury boys have. My advice "Make it Real". You'll have at least one fan...Me. LOL
Old 09-02-2008, 11:16 PM

The internet has become a great way for people to break into the hunting video scene. With a little know how and some good equipment, you can put together a quality show and host it on your own site. Many of these small online groups sell their DVD's online and make money doing what they love to do.

I'm going to try my hand at filming this year, starting out with a low quality handi-cam filming family members as they hunt. If that goes well I have a chance to by a nice xl1s for about $300 to $500, I'll invest in that and I have access to all the editing software I need. Hopefully people find the videos entertaining, if not, oh well, I'm still out enjoying the outdoors.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:38 AM
Fork Horn

Jason,
If you can buy an xl1s in good condition for $300-$500 you need to buy it today! The are still selling for $1200-$1500 and I doubt the price will drop much more than that. If nothing else, buy it to resale and use the profit to equip yourself with a high quality tree arm, tripod, fluid head and audio equipment!
Old 09-04-2008, 06:28 PM

I actually might have a chance at 2 of them, depends if our church decides to upgrade to high def. or stay with the XL1. I do most of the video at our church, and I am learning the editing and production side of it too. I really like the XL1 is just so dang big but at 4 hours of battery life and two batteries, you just can't beat that.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:03 AM

I do not know much about TV shows. If you watch some show on TV today it certainly does not look like you need much that is for sure.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Spike

Well I want to put my experience and info into this post. I do film for a show on The pursuit channel (ch 611) on direct TV. I have invested about 10,000 bucks just to get started good, have made many trips, and will make many more to film deer, elk, bear & fish. Its not easy at all, getting up early every hunting morning, getting little rest and doing again in the afternoon. Its also very important to know what there is to know about the kind of animal u are hunting. Preventing Scent, Being quit as possible, not jumping animals walking in, there are so many things to know before a person would even want to consider trying to be a cameraman. ITS NOT EASY AT ALL.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:23 AM

what an interesting topic here to say the least. i am DREW YARKOSKY and am an editor for the show MIDWEST WHITETAIL. we produce shows twice a week and i think that there is a lot needed to make a hunting video that is high quality. creativity, productivity, and being a perfectionistare definitely the main things that drives our show. you need to be a perfectionist out in the field and in the editing room. the first time i touched the software i use was in june so it is possible to pick up how to use the software (DOES TAKE A LOT OF TIME THO). camera wise you can produce a good quality picture using a canon gl2 which you can find for pretty low prices on ebay(couple grand). like i said we had no prior knowledge of anything before we started making shows and i think that it is possible for lots of people to do this, just a lot of hard work and time. you can check out our shows at whitetail.realtree.com/tv.

thanks everyone,
DREW YARKOSKY
Old 10-25-2008, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

Drew, I watched a couple of your webshows...........pretty good,alot of huge bucks no doubt........I like Bill Winke alot, but tell him to relax man, he's seems way nervous talking in front of the lens...........I know what it's like, I host a show as well, but he needs to breathe! LOL........just giving Bill a hard timeAre you all hunting private managed land? or do you have any public land hunts?
Old 10-25-2008, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Drew,
Just waned to compliment you on the show. I've watched a couple episodes and enjoyed them. That was quite a shame on the recent episode with the big buck pics where he lost his left mainbeam in the same series of pictures. I'm sure Bill was upset! Just curious, is this show produced from footage shot this season?
Old 03-01-2009, 03:08 AM

Edit: Solicitations are not permitted outside the classifieds.

Quick Reply: HOW TO START YOUR OWN HUNTING SHOW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.