Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Video & Photography
 Digital SLR Camera help..... >

Digital SLR Camera help.....

Community
Video & Photography Tips, tricks, and suggestions for videotaping and photographing your hunts.

Digital SLR Camera help.....

Old 11-19-2006, 11:09 AM

Default Digital SLR Camera help.....

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a good high quality digital SLR or SLR type camera. I am tired of getting out in the woods and not having enough zoom to get good pics or just having pictures that truly don't represent what I saw. Because of this I have decided to break down and get a good camera, one that isn't going to be old news three months from now. I have been researching several cameras and would like any real world experiences that you have had with them...

Kodak P712
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D
Nikon D40
Nikon Coolpix 8800
Olympus E-300
Panasonic Lumix DMCFZ50
Pentax K110D
Pentax *ist D
Samsung Pro 815
Samsung GX-1L

I am open to opinions and I would like to thank you in advance for any help that will be given.

Old 11-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Digital SLR Camera help.....

I dont have any experince with the cameras you have mentioned but have had a Canon 300D(6.3 MP)since they first came out 3 years ago. It has been a great camera and has taken some great pictures. As an SLR type, you can use the automatic mode, shutter priority,apeture priority etc to get the picture yoiu want. On the down side, to get good zoom ability it takes a good lens and they are not cheap. Alot depends on what you want to do, but with the digitalSLR you can do jusr about anything with a creative mind.

My 300D travels with me everywhere I go and it's always good to have a couple of memory cards and a spare ni cad battery pack as well a coupke of lens.

Personally I would opt for a Canon or a Nikon.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Buck magnet,

That is where I am I have a digital from the school where I teach but I take a picture and it looks farther away in the picture than it really is. I asked out computer tech. guy this question. I want a digital to take pictures of things that are up to 100 yards away and closer and I dont want them to look 300 yards away. He ask my price range. I told him 2-300. He got back and told me this one Fugifilm S5200. This guy also does photography on the side meaning wedding kids pictures and photo contest. So he knows his stuff.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:05 AM

I'm partial to Nikons but just to show I'm not bias, I use Canons in the field for videography.

I'd stick with the Nikon the reason being; the next step in your quest for that "minds-eye" pic will be a good lense (s). There are more good (and fast), used lenses on the market, also after-market stuff i.e. Tamron. You'll have more to choose from to fit your Nikon. Canon lenses are very expensive.

Hope this helped.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've used Pentax 35mm SLRs for years, and they have always performed magnificently. I'm still waiting for the $$$ to drop before I go digital.

For good wildlife pics, you will need a fairly large zoom. I use one that zooms to 275mm. But you still have to get close, probably 35 yards or better to take decent wildlife pictures.

For late evening work and with anything larger than a 300mm, be prepared to use a tripod.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im biased because I own a Minolta 5D. Bought it right after Sony took over Minolta Cameras. Wish I could have waited and save a hundred bucks or so. But I think the camera is worth the money and then some. I just wish I could use it to its full abilitites. However, Im working on that everytime I use it.

Here is the two best links to just about everything you can think of on cameras. I have a few more if you need them just holler at me.

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

I have almost a thousand bucks in my 5D and 300mm lens. I bought a package kit offEbay,then bought the 300mm at Circut City on sale. I have yet to get any good deer pictures as it always been at first light and dusk when I have my camera ready. I got a couple and when I figure out the f-stops and ISO and when to use what, I'll have a few more.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

We have the Konica Minolta 5-D. I like the quality and ease of use on the camera. Lenses are a bit scarce right now. It is worth the money. Good Luck
Old 12-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I notice that several of the cameras on your list are not SLRs. I would recommend a SLR for sure. I picked up a Nikon D70S this fall. It seemed like about the best bang for the buck IMO. I paid $800ish for it with the 20-70mm kit lens and since then I've picked up a 70-300mm lens for it off ebay used. There are a ton of lenses out there on ebay for the Nikons.

Here's a reasonable pic I got with it earlier this fall around the house. I'm just outside of Lubbock, Texas and we don't have many deer so I was excited to get a picture. They were about 100 yards away in this picture and running.

I'm a rookie at photography though.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:46 PM

I bought a Nikon D50 a year ago. I took the 28-200mm lens off my 35mm and I've been using it almost exclusively. I take the camera everywhere: on the boat, snowmachine, hunting, fishing, hiking, you name it. The lens has just about the right amount of zoom, without being overly huge. I took over 8500 pictures this year.

Last I checked, you could get the D50 body for $549 and the 28-200 Quanta-Ray lens is about $200 at Ritz Camera. Pick up a few 1GB SD cards when they go on sale, and you'll be all set for about $800.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

BM, i did extensive research on cameras before i bought mine. I found that canon cameras are second to none. I also called several photographers and inquired about their equipment... the majority of which recommended canon. Also many of the photographers for the univ. of oklahoma use Canon cameras as well. I have been extreely pleased with mine, good luck.

Quick Reply: Digital SLR Camera help.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.