Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 How to get the qual to live? >

How to get the qual to live?

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

How to get the qual to live?

Old 02-12-2005, 07:33 AM

Default How to get the qual to live?

I used to have lots of qual on my property now I have none, what should I do?
Old 02-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How to get the qual to live?

mrwake, where do you live? Larry
Old 02-12-2005, 07:53 PM

North Carolina with cut overs and such trees orchards etc!
Old 02-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

First of all I would check with my county agent. I would see if they have any ideas on predators, lack of food sources and cover that might cause a problem. Then I would work on quail habitat. You have got to provide them with cover for protection and a food source. If you don't, they will find it somewhere else. Putting out quail feeders around your property might be an answer, providing there is adequate cover. You might consider buying some birds from a quail farm, to see if you can get them reestablished. These birds might not make it, but they might attract some wild birds in providing the habitat is adequate. Folks at QU would be a good reference also. Good Luck, Larry
Old 02-13-2005, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Something has changed on your land - preditors - ground cover - ect so take a look back and see what it might have been. Weather conditions play a big part also if it is too dry wet ect.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:29 PM

I hunt over in Duplin County(near Mt. Olive) and have yet to see or hear a quail. We think it has to do with all the predators around there. The turkey population has been suffering too. We're trying to thin out the predators a little in hopes that we can get the quail and turkeys re-established. It seems like most folks around here are more interested in shooting deer and dove than anything else.

I went back to my home town in KS last spring and my grandparents were complaining about the quail going away. When I looked around, I could see why. The wheat farmers out there have knocked down all the tree lines and thickets that quail love to hide in. I almost didn't recognize the place.

I agree with the other posts, that something has changed on your land. If you need any help with planting ground cover, or thinning out the predators, let me know and I'll be happy to help.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:21 PM

I'm wanting to plant foodplots or other conservation projects for Quail. Does anyone know what the best type of plants would be to help a population. What do you guys think of feeders for Quail. What do you guys think of letting penraised birds go in the spring to help with the population. Thanks guys for your help.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting
Old 02-17-2005, 07:03 PM

well Im going to do some more research thanks for the help guys. Im going get the predator plant some sun flowers and milo put out feeders and buy a few dozen qual, maybe a few a month!