HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Feather plucker (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/87986-feather-plucker.html)

Mpemt24 01-26-2005 12:51 AM

Feather plucker

I purchased a feather plucker about 4 years ago to pluck the feathers off of pheasants. That was the last time I used it. The feathers never came off. Has anyone used them and if so, any pointers as to what I might be doing wrong.

Roost em 1st 01-26-2005 06:33 AM

RE: Feather plucker

Using mine right now to type this in.:DLOL. Never heard of one. Been using the thumb and index finger with good success. Got any pictures of this contraption?

DUCKSTAMPEDE 01-26-2005 06:36 AM

What variety and model did you buy-I have one as well and use it when I get tired of the thumb and finger-which happens now more since I am getting older.

johnch 01-26-2005 05:13 PM

The 1 I have works great on fresh birds ( I use on ducks & geese) ,it sits on a trashcan to catch the feathers.
If the bird sits around for a few hours it works SO SO.
I soak the birds a few min in soap and water to cut oil on the birds and help stop the down from flying everywere.

DUCKSTAMPEDE 01-27-2005 08:02 AM

johnch
Never thought about the soap idea-thanks

drgildy 01-27-2005 10:26 AM

If your picker will not dry pick then you will have to scald them. After you slop them around in soapy hot water then you will have to scald them in clean water to get the soap out. The soap is to cut the oil in the feathers so that you can get the scalding water to reach the skin. This scalding water has to be about 160 degrees and again you slop the bird up and down inthe water till the feathers loosen up, then run them against the picker fingers. I usually use my picker as soon as I get home from hunting. The sooner you use the picker the easier it goes. I just dry pick with my picker and the only feathers it does not take is if they are really blood soaked.

DUCKSTAMPEDE 01-27-2005 04:50 PM

Again-great advice and thanks-will save me some trouble in the long run

Mpemt24 01-28-2005 06:12 PM

Thanks for the info. I bought the plucker out of Cabelas. I tried to dry pluck, but it didn't work. I tried water too, but maybe I didn't heat the water high enough. I was afraid of cooking the pheasants.

drgildy 02-10-2005 08:02 AM

You can cook them even at 159 degrees. You just slosh them up an down in the water just long enough to loosen the big feathers on the wings. At this point all the feathers will be loose and come off easily. It just takes a little practice. I usually say when thew skin on the feet starts to slip the bird is ready to pluck.

Mpemt24 02-11-2005 06:18 AM

Thanks