HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Breed Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/85910-breed-question.html)

JsmesB67 01-10-2005 02:40 PM

Breed Question

I'm in the market for my first upland hunting dog. I've narrowed it down to a Vizsla. Can you guys give me some feed back on this breed? I have a 5 yr. old son and I'm not only buying the dog for hunting purposes but as a family pet as well.
Thanks in advance guys/gals....
Jim B.

drgildy 01-12-2005 09:39 AM

RE: Breed Question

Just get a puppy and enjoy. Just remember that you will have to do the training of the dog and the little guy to make sure that he does not undo what you do.

Ole threeshot 01-13-2005 07:18 PM

Jim, a Vizsla is a great dog and they can be great family pet. I was formerly from Bergen County and my yard wasn’t that big but it was fenced in and gave my dog enough room to run. I think it’s very important to keep that dog active first couple of years because he’ll drive you crazy if you don’t. Even though he’ll be a working dog he'll still need that exercise because they have plenty of fuel to burn. My current GSP is 3 and can still be a pain in the back.

Good Luck

TBCHAMP23 01-22-2005 02:24 AM

Go for the GSP. I have two of these dogs and they are great! Its unbelievable how much ground these dogs can cover. The breed is nice if you live intown because they very rarely bark.

DUCKSTAMPEDE 01-24-2005 11:37 AM

Outstanding dog and easy to train if you start out training correctly-does need room to run so make sure you have enough space-if you don't the dog will get into things it shouldn't.

Ole threeshot 01-25-2005 02:48 PM

I have to agree with TBCHAMP if your serious about a hunting dog go for the GSP or Brittany you cant compare them to the Vizsla for hunting game birds. I think Jim is set on the Vizsla and it's still a good dog that can hunt and I believe that they rarely bark also. Jim if your interested in GSP's I know someone in Sussex county that just had a litter and there from a great line.

nulle 02-13-2005 05:11 AM

I am partial to the GSP also and have a English Setter that is doing very well but they need close contact bonding all the time - which is not a bad thing.

RyanLane 02-14-2005 08:49 PM

My dad got a Vizsla in June of 2003. The dog is now part of the family. Our dog Maddy is a little on the gunshy side, which is not his fault it is our fault, that is a whole another story. They are great dogs in all aspects. Having children I would say go with the Vizsla. Ours loves kids and loves being outside playing with the neighborhood kids rangingin all ages.

You must remember if you get a Vizsla, this is not a dog you can keep in a pen out in the backyard. They are very energetic dogs and must have all the attention that you can spare for them. I would say that they are almost a needy dog.

You give them the attention they deserve and you will have a great companion for you, the field, and your children. I have some good pics of ours if you have an email i can send them to. I will try to upload them here but i have been having trouble.