Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Question about Over/Under shotguns >

Question about Over/Under shotguns

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Question about Over/Under shotguns

Old 01-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default Question about Over/Under shotguns

Has anyone ever owned a Stoeger Over/Under?? If so, are they a decent, dependable gun?? I've thought about some day buying an O/U but don't know if I want to fork out $1000+ for a Browning, etc and was looking at Stoeger's website. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about Over/Under shotguns

I have not tryed a stoger.
I have a Bailkal IZH27 for several years and it works great.
It is in the same price range.
Nothing to look at but it is a good shooter and it keeps working .
Rem is also importing it as Spartan line.
Savage is importing their S/S as the 411
Old 01-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Spike

Beretta, ownse Stoeger and Benelli inports Stoeger . For the money it's a good starter o/u . I have a buddy that has put over 4,000 rounds through his, and he loves it.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Typical Buck

Thanx for the information. One more question for Mike...Does he use the gun for pheasants as that would be my primary use for it???
Old 01-05-2005, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

i was at the gun shop yesterday... saw that mossberg had a pretty o/u 12- 3" , nicely engraved, so-so wood for under 500 bucks! it did say" imported from turkey" or something like that on the barrel , but it was , IMO , a good gun for the $$$.

i picked up a twice fired ruger red label at a GREAT price a while back, and if you can find one of those, id recommend it. outta all my guns (and i've been collecting for years) it is my absolute favorite. great wood, nice fit and finish. it is light but even when shootin magnum duck loads it handles the recoil great. comes up perfect ever time.

i like to call it my "can't miss gun", (i wish) . but it does shoot great for me.

they have some nice options on the rugers for 05, i would buy another in a second. it's easy on the eyes, and handles great.

good luck,
moose
Old 01-05-2005, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Ruger myself. I absolutely love it . Its the only gun i will ever carry as long as i am able to cary one. I bought minw used at a pawn shop 7 yrs ago for 675$. S look for a used one bud.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:19 AM

Iron ranger-

I'm a sxs man myself but have several buddies that sport o/u. I have been collecting shooters for about 6 years now. I will chime in that you need to look at used guns as well. You'll have to sift through the sand a bit but may find gold if you really look hard. Nothing against the guns mentioned above but IMO you can find a great Beretta or Ruger used that will get you started and I can feel a difference when putting them to my shoulder when compared to the Stoeger. The stoeger is more like a Chevy and the others while used feel a bit more like buick, you may even find one more like a corvette if you get lucky and used they may be the same price or a little more than a new Chevy. Sorry didn't mean to get so off the track with cars. I think you can get the drift of what I'm talking about. In my travels I found a Beretta 20 o/u a few years back that had nice wood and lifted great to the shoulder for around $600. Think it was a silver snipe if I remember correctly. Hey if this will be a pheasant gun you've got some time between now and next season. If you buy a used gun you can usually get all your money back if you need to part with it. Buy a new one and you may not be as lucky.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Moose, Teejay, Roost em,

Thanx for the information and I do have alot of time until next season to search for a used gun as well as look more at different new ones. I'm pretty hard on guns in terms of nicks/scrapes so how they look doesn't mean as much as how they shoot. Thanx to everyone for responding!!
Old 01-05-2005, 01:26 PM

Heard from a few ppl that stoegers were a pretty good o/u to start out with...i jus got before this past hunting season a winchester supreme o/u..12 ga 3"...shoots great...i use it for everything ducks/geese...pheasant..and deer...patterned great with buckshot at 50 yards and is great for upland birds...very light weight and easy to carry...
Old 01-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

you know, my friends with all thier fancy guns wanna puke when they see me draggin that beauty through the briars, across a swamp, using it for an oar, etc etc.... but , i dont ABUSE it, i use it. like the tool that it is. do you buy an estwing hammer to hang it on the wall? nope. scratches , nicks and dings are all part of my guns beauty!

although, i would like a set of camo stocks for it. any sources, anyone?

-moose

Quick Reply: Question about Over/Under shotguns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.