HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   every one with opinons!!!!!!!! come on in ! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/84220-every-one-opinons-come.html)

huntinmandan 12-28-2004 09:50 AM

every one with opinons!!!!!!!! come on in !

ok im sick and tired of this sxs or o/u personally i love over and unders im practically a adict !!!! to them !
i wqanna here your strong opinions about what you like better becouse it seems like everyone is a big fan of SxS in here!!!!!

" if it flies it dies!!!!"

Roost em 1st 12-28-2004 04:26 PM

RE: every one with opinons!!!!!!!! come on in !

To each their own. Ever read a copy of The Double Gun Journal. It may somewhat explain the mystery that perplexes you.
The double guns I own:
sxs 12 ga Ithaca cicra 1912-1914 right when they bought out Lefever 30" F/F
sxs 16 ga Spainish made imported through Kassnar arms circa 1970's
sxs 20 ga Spainish made
sxs 28 ga Spainish made only stamped with Eibar and has really funky engraving

Turkey and Waterfowl:
12 ga 870 with a synthetic stock

As you see I do not own an O/U so I am not qualified to really judge your passion for them. I have been caught with a O/U 410 Fausti in the training field due to Kennel Rules. It does handle nicely. But I prefer the sxs's.

RemMod1100 12-28-2004 05:18 PM

I think it's all a matter of taste. The first 12 guage I ever hunted with was a Model 12. I then shot an 870 exclusively (all bird hunting, trap, skeet). After that I got an O/U itch, went right through a Remington Peerless, was lucky I had also picked up a Browning Citori along the way, and also got my hands on a nicely engraved Model 101 to pretty up my gun cabinet. Somewhere in there I added an 1187, which I liked so much I had to have the real thing, an 1100. It's been true love ever since. But this thread is about o/u vs. sxs. I have one sxs, an AYA 12 gauge. Nice gun, but it took some getting used to. If your gonna make me choose between a sxs and o/u, put me down for a Citori.

johnch 12-28-2004 06:04 PM

I like a O/U best, but hunt with that or Auto because of the s/s covers more with both barrels.
S/S 's are for the most part a lot more $$ and for some it's a ego thing , I am hunting with this gun that cost more than your car.
Pick what you like , learn to shoot it good and if anyone looks down on your choice TELL THEM TO GO POUND SAND UP THEIR @SS .

gselkhunter 12-29-2004 06:29 AM

Roost em, Do you get a sore neck when you turn those barrels vertical to shoot? In all reality both guns are very good! It is the feel of the gun in your hands that will set your mind. I have both O/Us and SXS, but I feel right with my O/U in my hands. But there are two kinds of O/Us, high profile and low profile, the profile is set by the lock style. The old Brownings are of the high profile style, I can't shoot them. I shoot low profile guns and I have 3, SKB 505 20ga 26" tubes, SKB 585 20ga 28" tubes and a Ruger red label 28ga 28" tubes. The barrel length makes the gun feel different also. I would shoot all the guns you can get your hands on and find out which you like best.
Roost em, my SXS is an old Ithica 12ga, it belonged to my Great Grandfather. My uncle broke the stock, so I had to fix it, it is still ugly but it shoots well. It is very fun to shoot at the range, but it is really heavy, so I don't think I will hunt with it a lot.
Gselkhunter

Roost em 1st 12-29-2004 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: johnch

S/S 's are for the most part a lot more $$ and for some it's a ego thing , I am hunting with this gun that cost more than your car.
Johnch-
I've met sxs owners the reflect the image you speak of, and I've met some O/U owners that are the same.
And just to clear the air. Hadn't paid more than $575 for any of the ones I shoot.Most were under $400. They are all just shooters and hold no real collectible value...yet. I buy em used and then do a little fixing from time to time before they go afield. Now one day I may be able to cough up the 8,000 Washington's needed for a custom fitted SXS 28 or 410 but safe to say that day is a long way away possibly never. And I'd have to fall into a lot of greenbacks before sinking 5 figures into a gun and it better be nice because I do not believe I'd be married much longer after that purchase.

Gselk- Does your Ithaca have the faint engraving of a pointer on the side? And my neck is fine other than the salt you keep heaping on it from the other thread[&:]

gselkhunter 12-29-2004 12:38 PM

Roost em, I am really glad your neck is OK, you had me worried! As for my Ithica, it does have a pointer on the sides. I don't know much about them, is that important info? Will that tell how old or the grade of the model? And I will try and reduce your salt, don't want those arteries to harden too much.
Gselkhunter

DUCKSTAMPEDE 01-13-2005 10:22 AM

Learned to shoot on a Steven's sxs 16 guage when I was a kid-best gun I ever owned-unfortunately lost the forearm when I was duck hunting in a canoe. Then progressed through a series of o/u and sxs-believe it is a matter of how it feels as I like my sxs when I hunt ducks but prefer my o/u when I am after pheasants. Never paid more than $375 as money always has to go to other things but do understand your thoughts about the debate.

HOSS 01-13-2005 12:27 PM

I started with an old pump high standard and have shot pumps,autos and sxs ever since my fav. is my ithaca 16 because it is light and a fast shootin little gun but for turkeys i go with my 11-87 it's a matter of what you shoot best with the guys that turn their nose up at anything but an o/u or sxs have their opinions but these same guys if they picked up an old 870 or 1100 or the like and started hittin everything from feathered to clay would they not use that gun because it's not the type of gun they like I think not and if they do well they need more help than they will get here

Soilarch 01-13-2005 03:40 PM

My dad has a Fox(savage) model B in 12gauge. Its the first gun I ever really connected on clays with. It just feels better than anything else. The only auto i've ever liked was an old ladies 20gauge auto5. Because the small forearm on SxS don't allow you to "hold on" to anything it makes them feel quite unique. The whole eye getting confuse is nothing but an excuse for poor shots. The same goes for having to compensate for each barrel. Do you have to aim lower when firing the top barrel of an O/U...NO! In the field an opened SxS lays very nicely in the crook of your arm, and I hear that old fashioned english stocks are a dream to carry. Lastly SxS tend to shoot much flatter than others...something I am now use to and like very much. A few of the reasons I've heard for O/U being more dominant in the competition circuit are as follows:
FASHION/TREND
Cheaper to make an O/U action than a SxS
You get double the mirage off a hot SxS

Only the last one has anything to do with performance...and dove hunting is the only real-world scenario I can think of where it would be an issue.

One last thing I've noticed: Alot of the SxS you see in most gun stores today are peices of junk that no one wants. I believe this is why the haters hate. Can anyone guess why you hardly ever find a nice one? We all have guns. The lucky ones have guns they'll never sale.

Oh and don't think a sweet SxS has to cost you a second mortage: www.dhshotguns.com