Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

end of wing & Shot

Old 08-03-2002, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default end of wing & Shot

Got my wing & Shot mag. today and the card attatched said this is the last issue. To those that know the mag. it will surley be missed. I wanted to E-Mail them with my discussed and let them know how disappointed I am for losing my favorite mag subscription but i couldn,t find the web address so if anyone knows it post it so i can write them a note. also if anyone else gets the mag do the same please it will surely be missed by me for it was the only mag i,ve found the is degicated to strictly bird huntin

Old 08-06-2002, 11:38 AM
Spike

Default RE: end of wing & Shot

Well, Damn! I got my issue and didn't notice the card. It was the best around and I looked forward to every issue even after years. I can't say that about any other magazine, even ones I regularly subscribe too. It's quality went down after the purchase a while back but they got it back up pretty well. I don't know the details of course but it sounds like a bigger company bought them out and is now deciding it's not profitable enough. I think this trading and buying of companies like they were baseball cards is really demoralizing to people. It's like the intrinsic value of this publication is of utterly no consequence. It makes the grade or it's axed by executives who could care less and probably don't know anything about bird dogs and bird hunting. I'm letting my imagination run a little here but there seems to be simply contempt for the consumer. I guess we're lucky they bothered to tell us at all. I think my subscription is paid up for a couple of years. That's not my main concern but what are they going to do about that?

Old 08-19-2002, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

drdan the card attatched to my mag wanted a reply from us to switch or remaining subscription time over to gun dog or wildfowl (duck huntin) if they didn't hear from you by aug 30 they would automaticly switch you to gun dog for the remainder of your paid subsription. You weren't your mind wander you said it alot nicer than I would have. they were bought by a corp. called primedia and they are holders of a lot of nitch type mags at least that's what it looks like on there web site. Anyone who loves bird huntin with gun dogs would have liked this mag.

the web site is www.primedia.com i'm going to send them an e-mail but as we know they could care less about the customers opinion

Edited by - HOSS on 08/19/2002 20:58:58
Old 08-23-2002, 01:52 PM

Well, this is good news after I just sent a check in for my first subscription on July 7th. I was wondering why I hadn't heard anything from them, so I guess this explains it. Now I wonder what I can do about either getting my money back or getting another magazine? Well, I guess I will e-mail the new parent company.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:02 PM

I'll miss this magazine. - - - What others have said about media buyouts is right on target and I'm getting a little tired of it. Seems that those buying the publications have little knowledge or regard for the reader. - - Well, hopefully publications owned by those who love hunting & shooting will take the place of the conglomerate magazines. - - -
Old 08-29-2002, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

Switched mine to gun dog but will sure miss wing and shot
Old 09-03-2002, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

i've been getting gun dog for years, its a great mag, and i would recommend it to those of you upland hunters that have to switch.
Old 09-06-2002, 01:15 PM
Spike

No slam to Gun Dog, it's a nice magazine - but it's not Wing and Shot. The more I think about this the more mad I get. With all the buying and selling of companies accountants tend to have way too much influence. I would bet that the founders of Wing and Shot were proud of the magazine and the value they provided to the readers. Sure they were doing it to make money and I think they deserve it for such a fine product. With a big company buying other companies based almost soley on the profit potential there is little pride or sense of continuity or resposibilty to the customer. If the accountants say that division's "ratings" are slipping it is cancelled as if it were nothing more than last years stupid TV sitcom. Makes me want to shake some awareness into somebody. I'll bet the people who cancelled it don't have the slightest idea that it WAS different than Gun Dog or Pointing Dog Journal. Of course even if they did I doubt they'd care. I am hoping that one of the things the internet might eventually be able to do is make people more aware of these things companies do, who is actually responsible and make it easier to organize a protest like getting swamped with complaints or having products boycotted. Well, maybe. It's still easier to get people to complain than it is to get them to shell out money to buy a subscription to keep a magazine going.