Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Inquiry relative to shotgun for birds >

Inquiry relative to shotgun for birds

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Inquiry relative to shotgun for birds

Old 12-07-2004, 09:34 AM

Default Inquiry relative to shotgun for birds

Hey guys,

I just recently purchased a winchester model 94, semi-auto for grouse here in Kentucky. When I used it dove hunting I had a hard time hitting anything? I was raised on PA pheasants and hunted in Colorado after them too, never a problem hitting them. This gun was made in 1984, is it time for a new barrel or what? Thanks for your help guys
Old 12-07-2004, 11:20 AM

Default RE: Inquiry relative to shotgun for birds

What gun did you use in PA? CO? Have you been dove hunting before this year? Have you gone to a trap/clay or sporting clay range? What load were you using? And finally where did you find doves in KY this year because I didn't see very many in South Central KY?

I shoot guns that were made from 1914 to 1995 in various gauges and haven't needed any barrell replacements.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

I would take the 94 out and shoot at a pattern board and see where the gun is shooting. Might be some simple stock work will set you up so you can enjoy your new toy.
Gselkhunter
Old 12-07-2004, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was raised on shooting pheasants, too, in Illinois, and the only season I went dove hunting here in Texas I was 0 for 5 shooting opportunities. Shooting doves is not like shooting pheasants, my man! Different sized target and different speed of the bird. You might change your choke, if possible, to open up your pattern. A full choke may not be the best choke to use on these birds . . . if that is what you are using. Others on this forum know a lot more about dove hunting than I do, but maybe your problem isn't your shotgun or even your shotgun abilities . . . just the peculiarities of dove hunting, which ain't easy.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:44 PM

First impression here is that it's a new gun to you and might not fit your properly. I traded a few years back from a Remington to a Beretta, models were almost identical. However, the drop in the stock on the Beretta was very flat, causing me to shoot above my targets everytime. I've traded off again to a gun with more drop in the stock and I'm shooting much better (I didn't say I was shooting well, just better...lol). Like an attorney who got a murderer off scott-free once said, "If the...gun...don't fit" it ain't worth $&@#.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with Alsatian. Doves are not like pheasants. Alot of fly-by shooting trying to knock them out of the sky. Years back we use to hunt doves to take a break from hunting pheasants. They are not at all like pheasants. Pheasants flush. Doves you see them from afar and they fly slowly overhead. You have to know the range of shot, shot pattern of the gun at that distance, and lead them alot less. Skeet is good to practice shots for doves. Just remember to follow through. I use to use #8 2 3/4" game loads with fixed Mod choke in 20 ga.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:14 PM

Hey thanks for the advice, I might do some work on the stock. I hunt at the Central Kentucky Wildlife managment area in Madison County. I would think with all the fields in and around Bowling Green that you folks would see more birds. Thanks Again,

Sean

P.s. We have a big hunt planned for the birds this next Fall, stay in touch and I'll have you come on over.