Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Is any body having fun yet?

Old 12-02-2004, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default Is any body having fun yet?

Because of some family issues I have only 4 days of bird hunting in this year[:'(]. Two day in WY, two sharptails, low bird counts I was lucky. One day in KS, two roosters, was supposed to be there for three days had to come home[&o]. One day in CO, missed some quail[operator error][:@] and did get two roosters. And I have had great dog work. So I am having fun.
Gselkhunter
Old 12-02-2004, 02:29 PM

Default RE: Is any body having fun yet?

One week in Montana with good success and good dog work, watched two 6 month olds figure it out Worst part was coming back to KY[:@]
4 days in Nebraska dodging rain[] but hit a trifecta one dayand took my Chessie on that trip She hunted well with shorthairs.
Back in Kentucky and there just aren't many quail[&o] didn't even get out to search for woodcock the way I wanted. The wife is Prego and nesting. I can't even say "bird" around the house because she'll lose it[] Without a small miracle I won't be leaving Ky to hunt anymore this season Have to disguise it as a business trip... But if its all over it has been a good year for this Ky boy. Three species in MT although not in one day and three species in NE is a first for me in one season. My buddies shorthairs keep getting better every year and my ole duck dog has turned out to be at age 9 one hell of an upland companion. I'm having fun but I wish I lived a little closer to bird country.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds good to me! What a name Ditch Parrot, I love it. And I too am always bummed when the season has to end[]. But that time isn't here for me. I have until mid Jan. to hunt Colo. and end of Jan. to hunt Kansas. I am probably going to hit Colo. tomorrow and Kansas next week. I want to make my dogs so tired they sleep til I have the new pup trained, good luck I know. My GSPs have been good so far. Good luck with the new one, maybe it will be born with an O/U and a pup and your wife will get the hint. My little one is 17months and my wife doesn't want him out in the cold, so I have not had him in the pack hunting yet. I need a good weekend to do that. Hope it is soon I need to break him in, and her. Thanks for the report Roost em 1st.
Gselkhunter
Old 12-03-2004, 01:51 PM

Rooster limits in Iowa and Nebraska on 4 consecutive days-2 and 2. Dropped one grouse and due to operator error missed another one. It was good.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:54 AM

Duck- Great to hear you had some good hunts

ELK- Good point on the terminology. It is changed.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

The Ditch Parrots lived to their name yesteday! They would run to the road[highway] and jump up when a car was there so you couldn't shoot them. Now that just isn't fair! My dogs were not happy[:@]. Eastern Colo. was warm, dry and windy yesterday, the dogs had a hard day[:'(]. We[3 of us] got one ditch parrot[I really do like this name!]. He was a crosser for me and a straight away for Dan, poor sucker never had a chance. Had another point on a ditch parrot and a serious melt down, malfuction and operator error[:@][:'(][], needless to say this bird has a charmed life. But we had fun anyway. Think we better go back to the sporting clay range for a refresher class.
Gselkhunter
Old 12-07-2004, 09:33 AM

Sounds like you found one of those kevlar clad cocks. Had my fair share of encounters with them this year. One bird literally danced in the air with wads of #6's as a partner. 3 guys hit the bird and the thing was still alive when it was retrieved[]Those birds can be tough sometimes. How are the dogs doing elk? Had that pup on any trips? My buddy is selling a couple of started dogs this week and next and wants me to go in on a pup from Blue Dawn Kennels to get some more Blue max stock in the kennel. Pricey pups but man they hunt well. Took some 14 week olds down to the quail field last evening and that was about as much fun as I've had in a while
Old 12-08-2004, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

I have a couple of great GSPs, Emily is 8, she is still a field trial girl, give that child a Rimadyl and your legs are in trouble[]. Gertie is 3 now and a great foot hunting girl, can't have a much better nose. Now Leyna is the new pup, what a girl. At 13 weeks she has her name, no, kennel, and come. I have had her 4 weeks. The best part she likes birds! So my dogs are good. Hope to get them out on Sunday. Hope that bird that got away on Sat. didn't breed to many, makes life hard. Roost em sounds like you are having a great time to. Are you go to buy one of those pricey pups? I let you know how Sunday goes. I am taking my son with me, so it will be a good day even if the Ditch Parrots win.
Gselkhunter
Old 12-08-2004, 10:51 AM

The jury is out on the pup purchase still.There are 11 I mean 9 GSP in the kennel to date, 2 sold yesterday 1 pup and 1 started, but after Texas there may be only 4[]My buddy gets nervous when he has less than double digits to feed but now is the time to off them. Hope your trip Sunday goes well. How old is your son? I have a 3 yr old son who I can't wait to get out that is if he is inclined.
Since this thread is about fun I'll add that I'm planning a grouse/quail trip for next week and can't wait. I've never hunted the ruffies here in Ky or anywhere for that matter so I'm getting excited.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:14 AM

All this talk about puppies is making me crazy. My two GSP's are 11 and 9. The 11 year old is now too old. The 9 year old, Hans, is slowing down now after climbing hills all day.

We had 5 chukars 2 weekends ago here in Washinton State. My long shots really surprise me. I have a Browning Featherlight Citori 12 ga with 26 inch barrels. I use 7-1/2 high brass shot. I use a modified choke on my first barrel and full choke on the second.
I had trouble keeping up with my Hans on the 3rd bird. He was fast on a covey. I walked in the general direction of his travel. After about 100 yds I found him a litlle up on my left( on a big covey of 10 birds) The covey got up a little early and I hit one bird that was at about 20 yds and very high up. Fun??? Oh Yeah!!!!

Quick Reply: Is any body having fun yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.