Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Is any body having fun yet?

Old 12-24-2004, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is any body having fun yet?

El Gringo, How's the shoulder? A friend of mine went down and had the time of his life. Said he has never been taken care of like that. And the shooting never ends. But he could hardly move his arms when he got back, gee I felt so bad for him. You want to talk about fun, I have Beretta686 coming out from Jersey next week to Ditch Parrot hunt for 4 days. Sould make for a great story. A Jersey boy in KS with a CO boy, I have the dogs, he is pumped up, the weather is suppose to be good, oh lord help him! He may never be the same.
Gselkhunter
Old 12-24-2004, 07:16 AM

Gselkhunter,

I had to laugh at your comment about the shoulder, except in my case, my left cheek bone was also involved.

Since I haven't yet imported my own shotguns and rifles, I had to buy a locally-made (the only thing affordable) single shot in 16 gauge. I usually shoot a 20 gauge. Much as I expected, the thing fires about 60 or 70% of the time I pull the trigger! After last weekend's hunt, I brought it back to the shop. It's supposedly fixed now.........we'll see.

These white wings often arrive in large flocks from fairly high above and then dive bomb the roosting or watering areas. At times, I ended up looking like a pretzel trying to maneuver for a shot all-the-while fighting the gun as well. Little by little I'll get the kinks worked out and when I eventually get my own arms imported and have a trained dog with me, I should be deadly.

Ditch parrots? LOL! You guys are going to have a blast. BTW, I drove through eastern Kansas, S. Dakota, and N. Dakota back in late October on my way up to Manitoba for a white-tailed deer hunt. I must say that I was quite surprised at the beauty of the countryside in those 3 states, especially Kansas and S. Dakota. I guess I had always been under the impression that they were flat as a board, but they're anything but! And the neatness of the farms and farm houses was really striking.

Take care of Beretta686......definitely post a story or two and perhaps even some pics!

El Gringo

Wow! Just realized I left out Nebraska. Sorry about that. Yet another overlooked jewel in 'fly-over' country.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

El Gringo, Ditch Parrot= Rooster Pheasant, this is the adopted name by Roost em 1st, isn't it great!
Gselkhunter
Old 12-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Spike

Two months ago I posted a question about pheasant hunting & a few of you good ole boys replied. THANK YOU. A special thanks to my new friend Gselkhunter. I'm flying out to Co. on 12/29 to meet him & his family. Then its off to Kansas for a 4 day Pheasant/Quail hunt.This will be my first hunt in the mid-west & I can' wait. With all the bad happening in this world its nice to know there are still good people willing to help you out. Check back after 1/10/05 to see the pictures & here some stories.
SHOOT STRAIGHT-BE SAFE- & GOOD HUNTING
Old 12-25-2004, 05:40 PM

Good luck Beretta!!!! You guys be sure to come back with a few limits and hopefully some good stories and pics as well.

El Gringo
Old 12-27-2004, 08:22 AM

Boy am I jealous! What a way to kick off 2005. Hope the weather is great.

What part of KS? I am missing a NE trip 1/14/05. [:@]

686- Warning! You are about to become an addict for which I pray there is no cure except to hunt wild birds.

BE SAFE and SHOOT WELL.

The ditch parrots don't stand a chance with gselk's spotted death seeking them out!
Old 12-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

Roost em, Hope you had a great Christmas! I don't wish to make this harder on you, but the weather is going to be perfect. We will be in the WaKeeney and Hill City area. The reports from friends has been ok. We are only going to have 4 days[], but 686 will get a full load. I am bringing extra shells. I am going to start with the 28ga, to give 686 a break. But the dogs are going nuts, they saw me packing[:@], that means that waiting 3 days will make them crazy. They run faster when they get like that, oh lord help us.
Gselkhunter
Old 12-28-2004, 07:54 AM

Gselk- A little more salt please The wound is still fresh. I also prefer my sxs 28 for pheasant Really makes the boys look when they miss with their 12's and the 28 drops em at 45 yds[] You shooting 4's or 6's. i put 4's in the 2nd chamber. Found a place that sells em under $8 a box Good luck. Taking the pup?
Old 12-29-2004, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

Roost em I can put anything I want in them, I reload. And when you pay about $8 dollars a box, I reload them for $2.75 a box. Is that enough salt? I wait for a sale and buy a couple of flats of 8s and shoot them at the range. Then Reload! I pick up 686 in about 7 hours, feed him, let him meet the girls, put him to bed, then off to WaKeeney at 2am. We will be hunting at first light. Now I have to make the hard choice, Quail, Parrots or P Chickens first[A little more salt], HMMMMMMM!
Gselkhunter
Old 01-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Who sent the Ditch Parrots the track shoes[:'(]? From the time 686 and I hit the field, run and fly 100yds out was the game[]. Temp was in the high 50s and the dust plugged up the dogs noses and ours[:@]. They have not seen rain or snow since Oct[].We hit 4 counties and got our butts kicked. I got a pair of quail the first day and was done[:@] My dogs worked hard and all the points were hens[:'(]! Roost em I am out of salt[:@]. We walked as many miles as you can in a day and came up empty[]. 686 is a great guy, we had a good time and I am sure he will give you a report soon.
Gselkhunter

Quick Reply: Is any body having fun yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.