Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Iowa's Pheasant hunting holiday weekend >

Iowa's Pheasant hunting holiday weekend

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Iowa's Pheasant hunting holiday weekend

Old 11-29-2004, 01:17 AM

Default Iowa's Pheasant hunting holiday weekend

I would like to hear from everyone in Iowa about how the hunting was this past weekend? How did you do? Where are you in the state? What cover were the birds in? And anything else you want to share.

I live and hunted in the central western part of the state in Carroll County. I only had the opportunity to go out for 4 hours on Friday however in those four hours the group of five of us were able to bag 6 of the 8 roosters we saw and had the opportunity to see lots of hens. They seemed to be in the medium thick cover near uncultivated corn fields. We experienced roosters sitting very tight and hens flushing a bit more easily.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:13 AM

Default RE: Iowa's Pheasant hunting holiday weekend

On Friday I was hunting in Eastern Iowa. CRP and waterways. Bagged 3 roosters in a group of four hunters, should have been five birds.

Roosters not sitting very tight. Hens sitting very tight, probably saw at least 30 Hens.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:36 AM

Hunted around Whiting-6 of us limited on Friday and Saturday. Saw (okay they got up in range and flew through a hail of gunfire but somehow managed to escape dropping even a single feather) 7 additional roosters. Probably saw twice as many hens-neither sex was holding very tight, cover was moderate, weather was perfect, dogs worked well.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:04 PM

Took out 1 bird. Shoulda got three but hey, I missed. Hens sitting tight. Roosters pretty wild. Roosters came out of medium grass and heavier cover around a uncultivated corn field. Was only able to go out a few hours as family was in town.