Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Neck Wringing

Old 10-21-2004, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Neck Wringing

never thought about it.....but it dont bother me....not one bit.....ill jump on a turkeys back and grab him by the neck if i got to.....i started it.....im finishing it.......ive seen buddys that wont touch living animals keep shooting till it quits twitching....to me thats just sick....i never thought about it.....but it dont bother me.....im finishing what i started.....and if youve ever been kicked and beaten by a ringneck that you only knocked out you will learn to do something about it.....i had one wake up and beat the crap out of me...i actually fell down....thankfully i was with buddys and one grabbed the bird in my game vest and held him down till i could get out of my jacket!....just part of the hunt to me.....
Old 10-22-2004, 12:57 PM

never had to do it but it doesnt sound like somthing id want to do!!
Old 10-22-2004, 01:51 PM

Are you all being serious? How about knocking them over the head with your purses to everyone who can't ring the neck. Maybe you could carry a mini club with you to dispatch the kicking birds. I mean we are out there to carry out a task. Finish the job if your shot doesn't. The only person I know personally who doesn't want to ring a neck or pop a head is my 3 year old son, he steps on quail in the training field if the 28 doesn't do the job.
Get flogged by a big gobbler once and you'll know the importance of finishing the job. What was that movie where the Mountain girl caught the mean old rooster for Nicole Kidman and broke it's neck before announcing that chicken was for dinner?
Old 10-25-2004, 10:08 AM

Cold Mountain...I think that was the movie, could be wrong though.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:13 PM
Spike

I haven't been on this site for a while, but I don't believe what I am reading. I suggest you shoot 'CLAY' birds if you can't take finishing the act!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2004, 09:20 PM

I've only ever hunted grouse, but my dad taught me to just step on the head, and whenever I shoot a bird and its still flapping around stepping on the head seems to kill it quick..?
Old 11-05-2004, 12:18 PM

You guys make me laugh! I can't believe this is an actual debate. If you can't wring a neck, you shouldn't be out shooting birds in the first place. I grew up in a small town and I remember my mother butchering chickens by cutting off their heads. They would run around with blood spraying all over the place until they croaked. Then she would hang them up on the fence until they bled out. After that, she would cut them up and package them for the freezer. That was the source of all our sunday chicken dinners throughout the year. That was the BEST chicken I had ever had! Wringing the neck of a pheasant is nothing.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:21 PM

what is everyones technique for finishing the job?
Old 11-09-2004, 10:27 AM

Are you all being serious? How about knocking them over the head with your purses to everyone who can't ring the neck. Maybe you could carry a mini club with you to dispatch the kicking birds.
This is exactly what I am thinking to myself. This must be a joke. If you can't finish the job, you don't need to be out shooting pheasants in the first place.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:19 PM

It's just part of bird hunting - it happens. Just like with squirrel, rabbits, etc., sometimes you're going to have to step on their head. If it bothered me, I wouldn't hunt.

Quick Reply: Neck Wringing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.