Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Need advice on taking son out >

Need advice on taking son out

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Need advice on taking son out

Old 10-13-2004, 09:21 PM

Default Need advice on taking son out

I would like to know what you guys think about taking a little one out. He is 3 years old and a total daddy's boy. I am thinking about taking him to the dove field with me. I don't really care too much if I don't get to shoot anything but I think he would absolutely love it. If I do get a few birds I could let him walk out with me to get them. I took him out turkey scouting last year (and the year before come to think of it) and he had a blast. The first year he had just learned to walk good and tripped over every little stick on the ground. He would jump right back up and keep going. I almost couldn't keep up with him. I had to drag him back to the truck kicking and screaming (literally). Though he's still a few years from shooting any type of gun he already holds one better than some grown-ups.

Anyway, sorry to be so long winded. I'm not proud daddy or anything like that.

Just wondering what some of you think about it.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:13 AM

Default RE: Need advice on taking son out

From the age of five my father let me trail right along with him chasing ruffed grouse and rabbits in Maine with my trusty Red Ryder BB slinger. I did that until I was ten when I got my first shotgun. It was a brand new HR .410 and he made me hunt with that until I killed my first deer, ruffed grouse and rabbit. Luckily the deer and the rabbit came in the first year. The grouse was the next season.

The more we get our kids out and into the woods the less trouble they can get into.

I'm moving to north georgia in a couple of weeks and of course the first thing my four year asked me was if there were "deers and birdies to put the boom boom on there".

Get him out there with you.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

I started my son at 4months, first hunt was in a goose pit. He started hunting pheasants with me soon after. I carried that boy in a Kelty pack until he was 4yrs old. He loved going with me and I was glad to have him. It made hunting and shooting a little hard, but it was worth it. The problem starts after I couldn't carry him anymore, short legs. Keaton was much for fighting all the tall grass and weeds. So I lost him for awhile. Then a bird farm was the way to go. Shorter walks, manicured fields, better for short legs. Now Keaton has turned 9, has his hunter safety card and will go on his first Pheasasnt hunt in Kansas in November. I don't know who will have a better time him or me, but I get back my hunting buddy.
Gselkhunter
Old 10-14-2004, 03:20 PM

with my trusty Red Ryder BB
I remember those days. Dad shot birds, I shot lizards and bees.

Old 10-14-2004, 07:39 PM

I have thought aboutthis my self and always wondered:

A) Do you have them wear hearing protection?

B) Do they freak out at the sound of the gun shot?
Old 10-15-2004, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

You can start them at a sporting clay range and yes hearing protection! The wax ones are easy to use on little ones, the foam ones don't stay in well. My son didn't freak at muzzle blast, but I don't shoot a 12ga. Another thing to bring them in, is a Montecarlo cap gun, it is a toy sidexside. Perfect for starting gun saftey and making them feel like they are a part of the hunt. But I think one of the biggest deals is clothes, they have to be warm or it is no fun. One day Keaton and I went to Kansas with a freind of mine and the weather got cold. Keaton didn't like being out, so we played games in the truck while my freind hunted. The next day the weather got warm, so we were out and hunting. Pick your days and have back-up plans just in case. DON"T FOREGET YOUR CAMERA!
Gselkhunter
Old 10-16-2004, 11:36 AM

I can remember being seven and going out with my father phesant hunting. He would jokingly call me his dog, and say good boy when I picked up his birds.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: jaysweet3

I can remember being seven and going out with my father phesant hunting. He would jokingly call me his dog, and say good boy when I picked up his birds.
I've been carrying a gun for 6 years now and everyone still calls me the dog
Old 10-19-2004, 12:01 AM

I have decided to take him with me on a dove hunt next week. As I said, he's been with me on scouting trips and loves the woods. OF COURSE I"LL USE GIVE HIM EAR PROTECTION!! I don't want him having the hearing problems I have. I figure wax plugs AND muffs should be sufficient. I asked him tonight if he would "like to go hunting with daddy". I asked him as he was getting ready to go to bed (BAD MISTAKE) and he said "I get my shoes". and started to get up. I had a real hard time explaining that we're no going right now. This boy's ready to go. I (and mom) give him 2 years and he'll be shooting squirrels better than I do.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:12 AM

i think it would be a great idea to take him out, im only 14 years old and im obsessed about hunting and i only could wish that i had i dad who would enjoy going with me.

Quick Reply: Need advice on taking son out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.