Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

hot spots for pheasants

Old 10-12-2004, 12:36 PM

Default hot spots for pheasants

HEllo, I have been wanting to hunt pheasants, but can never find where they are. Any suggestions on where to find them?

thanks mark

P.S. I live in saskatchewan, canada, and I don't have a dog. If anybody knows any good spots by saskatoon, or any fields or anything, plz let me know.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Spike

Default RE: hot spots for pheasants

I talk to a few folks from Canada in the chat room I'll be sure ask if they have any info.Hopefully someone will stop in here and maybe give you some tips where to look also.

Pheasant hunting can be frustrating at times without a dog so hang in there and good luck.Take care,Jackson..
Old 10-12-2004, 01:49 PM

as for close to saskatoon i think your s.o.l. on that. I have hunted them once down by Assinaboia/ Wood Mountain Area. We seemed to do pretty well that hunt but we had a great dog. I am would presume to find birds here you need to go further south. I am not really a pheasent hunter but i know a dog sure helps. If i never had one or had access to one i am not sure i would go. I would suggest maybe ask around with conservation officers in the south offices, maybe they could put you onto something. Good luck...
Old 10-12-2004, 01:58 PM

Mark, find a dog. You may be walking right by the birds and not know it. I'll be hunting south of you in Montana late this week and part of next, probably 90 miles south of Regina. Corporate wheat and CRP. The wheat has been cut in some places and not in others.
I don't know much about Saskatoon or the areas around it but if it is wheat and CRP you can hunt similarly. Find spotsof wheat that have been cut that have a waterway in them. Hunt the waterway bottom to top or visaversa dependingon the wind. If you don't have dogs you might need to make a lot of noise to scare the birds into flushing. More times than not at the end of the waterway you'll get some birds up so walk the whole piece. Don't start in the middle or finish without walking all the way to the end of cover.
Cattails will usually hold birds as well. I also like terraces. Zig zag them and when you get to the top make sure you cover the whole crest, you may find huns. North East Montana is spotty this year but the fellow I'm meeting has had some good days. Check Montana Fish wildlife and parks website section 6. They have distribution counts and an Atlas of public lands. Out of staters pay $132 to license up, worth every penny. I have to travel every year for Pheasant. Montana, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Let me know what you find in Saskatoon and you might see me there next year. If I come you won't need a dog. There will be between 8 and 16 shorthairs to choose from. Good LUck.
PS I travel fom Kentucky, I know you are closer to the birds than me so get out and find em!
Old 10-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

I'm right next door in Alberta similar province out east. I'd look for birds in river bottoms and around grain fields with cover. Talk to the locals and the Conservation office, they could put you on some bird spots. As for a dog, it's nice but not a necessity. I have hunted pheasants my whole life and it's awesome with a dog, but I have killed more birds without one. Most of our hunting is done in overgrown ditches so it's easy for 2 guys to push. Good luck! JDinAB