Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Inexpensive Pheasant hunt?

Old 09-27-2004, 08:15 PM

Default Inexpensive Pheasant hunt?

I have never hunted pheasants but would really like to try it. Does anybody know of any inexpensive pheasant hunts in the TX, So. OK (south of OKC) area? This would be much later in the year if the season is still open after the first of the year. If not then I will do it next year.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:31 PM

Default RE: Inexpensive Pheasant hunt?

Shotgunworld.com

these guys can steer you in the right direction.

what exactly do you call inexpensive? <$300 or <$1000
Old 09-27-2004, 09:34 PM

ya know what....im a retard. I read that entire post and kept thinking you were asking about a inexpensive pheasant gun. Well, its still a good forum and the guys there will likely know about hunts there also.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the lead. That is a pretty cool site. Lots of info on there. I found several places that offer pheasant or (even better) mixed bag hunts for less than $300.00. That is my idea of inexpensive. There were quite a few offering hunts in the $200-$250 range. That is perfect. I've never hunted birds behind dogs and would love to try it. Looks like I'm going wingshootin' after the first of the year. Thanks Soilarch!
Old 10-01-2004, 03:34 AM

What is this hunting world comming to when this question has to be asked.....I guess I'm lucky to the point were all my hunting is inexpensive. Excluding the cost of the hunting equipment and tags, all I need is five bucks of gas in my tank to hunt deer, elk, waterfoul, and upland birds with a very high secess rate..Good luck on your search for the hunting spot, It just erks me to no end when I hear of fellow hunters having to pay to hunt. It just seems like it would take the fun out of it and make it more of a job because of the financial aspects of it. But I guess it all comes down to were you live nowdays...
Old 10-01-2004, 05:37 PM

It irks me too. I grew up being able to hunt right in the back yard. Now I have to drive an hour each way to hunt deer. There is no pheasant hunting (that I know of) in my immediate area. (I live in North Houston) All my hunting also has to be on public land. Needless to say my success rate is very low. Part of the situation is of my own doing but at 35 and with a growing family I have to be where the money is. I do hope and plan to buy a large piece of land (several hundred acres or as much as I can afford) in the next 5-10 years so hopefully I won't have to worry about where I or my children will hunt. Until then.......[&o]
Old 10-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

meet a buddy that has a dog and bird hunts.........itll be FREE........and thats the best part about hunting is doing it with friends or other people you care about...cant be too hard to find someone.....heck im 17 and i struck up a conversation with a older guy at walmart and we talked for 5 mins....local gun clubs ect would be a good place to look....or a local gunshop....most guys would be willing to take a friend out.......show up at some clay shoots and things like that.....make some friends.....talk hunting.....i dont like the idea of paying to hunt......
Old 10-02-2004, 04:15 PM

That's great in theory mauser, but it doesn't work like that everywhere (unfortunately). Especially in the city. When I was in FL that was possible sometimes but things are different here. People just don't want to share their spots, especially for free. I don't really have anything to offer otherwise. Not like I have any hotspots (or even warm ones for that matter) to share in return. People here have gotten wise to the fact that there's a good deal of money to be made off of people like me, whether we can really afford it or not. When I was growing up in the Carolinas all you really had to do was knock on a farmers door and ask. Maybe you would help mend a fence, bail some hay, clear trees and brush, or offer some meat from the hunt. Things are MUCH different now.

Fortunately I have gotten some leads from this board. I also have a couple coworkers who have invited me on a hunt for doves, ducks, or geese but I won't hold me breath. It wouldn't be the first time they didn't follow through with a promise. I know I will run into someone sooner or later but I'm sure not going to sit at home waiting.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:31 PM

Tell you what,
You are doing the right thing by planning now. I'm sure you can find pheasants in the area you are contemplating.
If you have a vehicle and some time, look a little further north. Inexpensive pheasant hunts are what I do every year.
Never tried the area you are looking at but have heard from other hunters that the birds can be great when the year is right.
You are getting into a type of hunting that is similar to others, Find the habitat and you'll find the game.
Cheap hunting is plentyful when you find public land. Public land is productive when you find proper habitat.
The ideal hunt on public land is in CRP grass when the farmer next door just cut his corn or wheat. I have enjoyed
the WIHA {Walk-ins} of Kansas in the past; but several years of drought have taken there toll. I'll be in Nebraska every other
weekend this year. Study the weather from last Spring and Summer and get aa Access Atlas from Nebraska or Kansas. Locate clusters of public access ground and find a town close by that would offer a place to sleep. Most towns will have some sort of motel for 35 to 50 bucks a night. Find an isolated town with only one motel and clusters of public access ground close and chances are you won't see many hunters, especially late in the season. So you are out the gas, motel, food, and out-of state license say 200-250. You can hunt as many days as you want, where you want and will only be out the motel, food and gas maybe 100 bucks a day. Now get a buddy to split everything.
oops, you don't have a guide. Better start reading articles written by successful hunters and teach yourself what to look for. Do you hunt whitetail? Similar tactics. The bird you want isn't that different than the buck you want. He'll move in the morning and the evening to and from bed and will sit tight in what what appears to be a small amount of cover if food is close. They like cattails especially late in the season, The running spring that provides cattails is water and warmth compared to the snow covered hilltop in January when the high temp is 20.
No dog? Stay home! Or buy one; better yet that buddy I mentioned needs to have one since your providing the vehicle. I like German shorthairs that work close or a retriever. I have a nice Chessie that tries her best to point and always closes the back door for the shorthairs on a need to basis. Flushing retrievers are fine as well. If you don't have a dog and are going to buy one I can't recommend the Chesapeake, not yet, they are pretty good at training people if you don't watch it, stick to the labs...don't tell my Chessie I said that.
LIcense $90
PER DAY:
Gas depends where you go
Motel $50 $25 if you split it
Food $20
Shells $10 [you better be a good shot] if you're really good $2.50 a day
You are already licensed go as often as you like... OH, you're married she'll need to spend $200 every time you leave. Try Nebraska
Old 10-08-2004, 04:12 PM

I am in a similar boat. In Northern Illinois the bird hunting is going down hill. I had to join a club to find some good hunting close to home. It wassn't cheap but a fair deal.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Pheasant hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.