Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Loss of a Great Dog

Old 08-18-2004, 07:17 PM

Default Loss of a Great Dog

Heard from Dez Young that Hank has passed away this past week. He was getting along in the years and died painlessly in his sleep under his favorite tree. Hank was a great host on one of the best birding shows on TV.

Jake
Old 08-24-2004, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Loss of a Great Dog

Hate to hear that he was a good dog but I noticed they wernt hunting with him quiet as much as they use to
Old 08-24-2004, 06:09 PM

Hank had to retire a couple of years ago due to old age starting to set in. So dez switched over and started the Upland Days with Dash and Dez.

Rob
Old 08-25-2004, 03:53 PM

Hank is a dog or a host??
Old 08-26-2004, 02:34 PM

Sorry to hear that he passed.. but glad that it was peaceful.

I truly enjoyed watching Hank hunt. Watching the way Hank and Dez hunted together really was something, and how well Hank handled all of the different hunting situations and terrains ... he was a special dog.

My dog Piper will be eternally grateful to Hank, because it was after watching a few shows that my wife picked up on the fact that Dez "never spoiled his bird dog" while letting Hank sit on the couch and eat people food. I lost that fight and Piper smiles at me from the couch corner every night..... she owes Hank big time!
Old 08-26-2004, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wesleykey

Hank is a dog or a host??
hank is a dog on a hunting show some sort of setter I think but hes been on tv forever
Old 08-27-2004, 07:08 PM

Yup. Hank was a Llewellin English Setter, the original breed of English Setter, that goes back to the 1500's.

Hank was a pretty impressive dog. If I didn't prefer the Labs so much....
Old 08-28-2004, 07:03 AM

I grew up hunting over yellow and black labs chasing Ruffed Grouse and Woodcock in Maine and have been pretty partial to thier hardiness in that cold weather. This next spring I am moving back there and going to be searching for a new dog and will probably either go back to a lab or retriever but after watching hank and dash I might be more inclined to get a pointing breed like them.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:27 PM

Just remember jake, Setter's are ALOT more sensitive than labs are. I don't know your training methods, but choose wisely.

Also if your going to do any kind of waterfowl hunting, I would say a Setter is out of the question. Yes I'm sure there are exceptions, I knew a Rott that went duck hunting, and no it wasn't mine.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:17 PM

Setters arent any more sensitive than some of the english pointers that I helped train. those damn dogs were just as liekly to roll of and piss themselves if a grouse broke cover. My labs were all flushers and never used as waterfowl dogs. I lived so far east inthe fly way that ducking was never much of an option until the seaduck season opened in January. And anyone then caught letting there dogs into the salt water in subzero weather would really be stupid. lol

Rob

Quick Reply: Loss of a Great Dog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.