Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

where have the quail gone?

Old 03-17-2004, 12:47 PM

Default where have the quail gone?

Here in MO, the quail population just isn't what it used to be. I know that some is habitat depletion, but I dont think this is all of the problem. I have heard that turkeys eat quail chicks, but I don't know. Predation is certainly a problem, so I guess all of these together might do it. I haven't seen a quail in about 2 years. What do you all think?
Old 03-17-2004, 05:54 PM

Default RE: where have the quail gone?

In VA it is habitat depletion as well as an increase in preditors like run away house cats. Farmers with large equipment are making fields as big as possible and tearing up the little overgrown areas that quail used to flourish in.

Andy
Old 04-03-2004, 05:32 PM

[:-]I was in Mo. back in '95 and was told the same things, habitat, being one of the most prevelant problems. I've read about this affecting several of the bobwhite traditional states. The CRP in the mid-west has helped in some of those states. KS, NE, SD.
I'm not rubbing it in, but out here in CAL. we jst experienced on of the best seasons in quite a few years. I personally bagged the most quail ever, in 30 years of hunting.
We've got Valley, Gambel's, Mountain and sometimes Scaled quail out here.
Got my first Mt. ever, and lotts of valleys, real good dog work, it was great, and sure looking forward to more.
Sure would like to get some bobwhites, one of these days! Hopefully your fish and game departments can help change things out there. Ours implemented a Upland game Stamp fee, which they use for the purchase of land and for the release of upland game in co-operation with private farmers and such. Maybe programs similar can be done there!
Old 04-07-2004, 05:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Ask your cat after it gets the feathers out of it's mouth ... [:@]
Old 04-07-2004, 09:47 AM

THey have been gone in MI for a while now.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:28 PM

Actually saw a small covey this winter while scouting. WOULDN'T DARE SHOOT ONE EVEN THO WE HAVE OPEN SEASON EVERY FALL. NOT MANY LEFT HERE IN PIEDMONT NC. TOO MANY FERAL CATS! DANG CAT SITTING AROUND THE EDGE OF A FIELD OR PASTURE @ DUSK IS BAD NEWS. MY .243 IS BAd news for them but I can't get them all. Also lots of foxes, red & gray, coons. Nobody hunts them much anymore. Saw my first local 'yote this year during deer season. Got plans for him, too
right place, right time
Old 04-07-2004, 04:16 PM

In the late 70's snow blizzards took out our covey's they never recovered like they should've. Also the farming practice of taking down fences took out their cover. Same with pheasants.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Mobowhuntr,

Your quail depletion can a combination of things, weather, loss of habitat, predators, tame and wild. Some of the predators are coyote, raccoon, oposssum, armadillos', snakes, hawks and a bird no one would think would hurt anything is the egrets (spelling ?). I have personally seen these birds catch quail chicks, rats, and frogs. One that I forgot, but will kill newly hatched chicks is fireants.

dog1