Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

BRITTANY'S

Old 02-12-2002, 10:43 PM

Default BRITTANY'S

I SEE THAT SEVERAL OF YOU GUYS ARE SPORTING BRITTANY SPANIELS. I'VE GOT TWO THAT ARE SOMEWHAT GUN SHY. NEED SOME HINTS ON HOW TO PROPERLY EASE THEM INTO ACCEPTING THE SHOOTING AND CONTINUE HUNTING. I'VE SHOT AROUND THEM A FEW TIMES AND THEY SEEMED TO DO FINE, BUT LAST WEEK THEY PRETTY MUCH QUIT ON ME WHEN THERE WHERE QUITE A NUMBER OF ROUNDS FIRED AROUND THEM. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Old 03-07-2002, 03:05 PM

Default RE: BRITTANY'S

This is what I have been told, but I personally have never tried it. Use at your own risk.

Check with the local shooting clubs in your area and explain that you are trying to do. If they will allow, take your dog to the club (on a leash of course) on a busy day.

Walk him/her around about 100 yards away from the shooters, then slowly walk the dog in closer to them. If the dog gets nervous, talk to and pet him/her. Hang out at that spot until the dog is more calm. Then move closer to the shooters, but not too close. You don't want to make the disturb or make the shooters upset. =P

I'd do this every weekend or so for a month. It may not be a bad idea to repeat this before the season opens.

Old 03-07-2002, 04:00 PM

WINGSHOOTER-THANKS FOR THE INFO. I'LL GIVE IT A TRY. HEY ALSO WHY DON'T YOU SEND A FEW OF YOUR PHEASANTS THIS WAY. WE SURE DON'T HAVE MANY IN OL MISSOURI.
THANKS AGAIN-GOODEE
Old 03-15-2002, 07:33 PM

When I had a gunshy dog (NOT a V) i found a set of tapes online that you gradually played louder and louder for the dogs. I think they were like $20. I will be looking for them again because I think it will be great to play for my new red babies.
Bec
Old 03-16-2002, 04:44 PM

Only shoot when the dog is around the birds and they will not even hear the shot
Old 04-10-2002, 02:36 PM

I think the first response is the best. Work them around a shooting club where there is a lot of shooting going on. Gradually work them in closer. If they shy, stop and come back another day and start over. You might also bring some wings and retrieving dummies and play with them while you work them closer.

Dream to Hunt...Hunt to Dream
Old 04-14-2002, 07:50 PM

THANKS TIM. WE'RE WORKING ON SETTING UP A TIME TO TAKE THEM OUT AND I DO BELIEVE I'LL TAKE ALONG A FEW WINGS AND A COUPLE OF THEIR FAVORITE TOYS. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL WORK..GOODEE..