Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Pheasent and Bobwhite Quail

Old 02-05-2004, 05:03 PM

Default Pheasent and Bobwhite Quail

I was wondering what is the better wildlife cover for Bobwhite Quail and Pheasents, I also want too know do pheasent have too live in fields and where do Quail really like too live?

Please answer my ?'s thanks
Old 02-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pheasent and Bobwhite Quail

Pheasants like large open grassy pastures. Brome, cattails, switchgrass and CRP are great for those birds. However, having grain fields near by is a huge benefit. 80% of all the birds in a field will be along the edges of those grain fields unless there is alot of snow or freezing rain, then they will be tucked in the the heaviest cover they can find. Quail are more brushy birds. The prefer brome grass, hedge rows, and plum thickets. Beings they are so much smaller than a pheasant, the lighter grass allows them to take off easier where a pheasant can power its way through tall grasses.