Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Clothing Options

Old 10-14-2021, 08:15 AM
Spike

Default Clothing Options

Hello Everyone,

I have lurked here for several years and figured join in on the talks. I am new to upland hunting but not new to hunting. I just purchased a pair of leather upland boots and a orange upland vest with some chaps and looking for some pointers. I hunt from Nov-1 to March 31 in the North and NE. I am debating on getting a briar proof long sleeve shirt or hoodie and maybe layering it when its really cold out. Would a jacket be better or too warm when walking miles each day? Someone even recommended a cheap, orange welding jacket, vest and a hoodie under the welding jacket. Do you prefer chaps or upland pants? I figure the chaps would give me better protection with 2 layers opposed to 1 with just pants. The boots I purchased are all leather, irish setters wingshooters and one pair seems kind of loose with room to move my foot or say wear some thick, wool socks and the other pair fits like a pair of running shoes. Will the leather stretch a bit on the tighter ones? How about gloves? I tried wearing some mechanics gloves and briars stick to them and they are slick on my wood stock.

Shells-I mainly use a 20ga and will be shooting rabbits and pheasants by flushing them. I have high brass and low brass shells in 5/6 shot.

Do you prefer a fiber optic on your upland shotgun or just the beed?
Old 10-21-2021, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the OP. You have a lot of good questions. My opinion based on my experience FWIW. I don't hunt in briars but do hunt areas with lots of stickers (similar issue). Personally, I use and prefer chaps. Depending on the country and conditions you hunt in, you can get waterproof and/or snake proof if needed. I use the regular chaps and they work well. If the boots you bought don't fit right with the socks you intend to wear, I'd take them back for a refund or exchange. Boots are too important to hiking to wear something that's too snug. I rarely wear a jacket cause I'm usually hunting in warmer weather. If I had to, I like being able to unzip a jacket as opposed to a hoodie without that option. I also rarely wear gloves unless run and gunning for turkeys so couldn't offer much opinion there. Your 20 gauge should be fine for the game you're hunting. Using a regular bead or fiber optic front sight seems to be a matter of personal preference. I've hunted with both and each works well. Hopefully some more people chime in here. Best of luck this season.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:57 PM
JW
Super Moderator

For clothing layering is the best. I like to wear a long sleeved light wt Duluth underwear as my base layer. It doesn't hold moisture and that is key to not getting chilled when you stop. I vary from a light wt long sleeve blaze orange kaki shirt if its warm (50° or above). I have heavier wt shirts as it gets colder.
Most times i have a bird vest on. It has a yeager lead in a back pocket for rhe dog, 2 water bottles, and links to securely attach my Garmin transmitters for my dogs.
ill carry a few energy bars. But water is critical for man and beast.
I have a back battery pack for my cell phone. And i have a whistle, a pair of shooting glasses to protect my eyes and a hat.
I like leather deerskin gloves. Wear them all the time. If it gets colder i use handwarmers in the palms inside the glove so i have at least 4 tucked in a pocket somewhere ready for use.
im partial to field pants. The best i have are from LL Bean. These briar pants can go rhru a needle factory with no punctures They don't hold water and wear like iron. Nothing sticks to them. They also have a "Tick" cuff. I will treat my pants with Permanone
a tick preventative.
my boots are Russel North 40. I have both lined and unlined as the temps change. If its real icy i do screw in a few sheet netal screws on the big sole lugs. No sense falling down. If its wet i wear upland neoprene muck boots.
I wear 2 socks. First layer is a Jobst knee high compression sock. Second is wool.
2 pair of socks helps prevent blisters!
For grouse woodcock i shoot a 28 ga.#8 For pairie grouse i use a 12. #6 And sometimes my 20 comes along if pheasant. #4 or #5 shot.
if its chilly out i carry a flerce pullover i can put in my vest back pocket.
Fleece wont hold water. Dries quickly and is a good layer to use.
As it get real cold i have a blaze Columbia bird jacket with a removable fleece liner.

And i carry 2 compasses. One pinned, one in my pocket.

Seems like alot but it really isnt

JW
Old 10-26-2021, 06:10 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Ive got to add i have several birds vests
I like my strap vest best.
JW
Old 10-27-2021, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

this is another spam thread, the OP hasn't been back on the site since starting this
Old 10-27-2021, 05:16 PM
JW
Super Moderator

2 Moderators post comments and its spam?
Hmmm

JW
Old 10-29-2021, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spam you am. Do you like spam and ham? Methinks mrbb maybe jumped the gun a wee bit on this one.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mrbb
this is another spam thread, the OP hasn't been back on the site since starting this
No spam here. It took a week for anyone to reply so why log in when no replies. Also, only 2 people replied before your spam comment, so again, why should I reply right away. Geesh.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:40 AM
Spike

To those who replied I thank you for your help. I have chaps now, a good pair of socks and picked the right fitting boots. Still working on a coat of some sort. It ranges from 50 degrees to 20 degrees around here.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hank Lee
No spam here. It took a week for anyone to reply so why log in when no replies. Also, only 2 people replied before your spam comment, so again, why should I reply right away. Geesh.
well I based my commit on the fact we get tons of folks that join ask a question and then never come back, and you APPEARED to be one. of them!
so that would be a reason to reply to YOUR topic, to show us your not just a one hit wonder!

and another reason to log in might be to maybe try and help others by being a participating member willing to help others and not just looking for someone to help you!
this isn't abash, its information and answering your question and explaining why I stated what I did!
for VALID reasons!

after all a forum works when we all help each other and its not all about ME mind set!

as for your question, try Filson gear, top notch upland hunting gear will last a life time!
, if you want cheaper, then try upland gear from places like cabela's and bass pro shop!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.