Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Clothing Options

Old 11-01-2021, 01:14 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hank Lee
To those who replied I thank you for your help. I have chaps now, a good pair of socks and picked the right fitting boots. Still working on a coat of some sort. It ranges from 50 degrees to 20 degrees around here.
You cant beat layering.
A fleece liner is a must for me. Fleece dries quickly and doesn't hold moisture.
Wind barrier of Gortex is my outer layer on wet rainy days.
And i also like those battery heated vests. The battery seconds as a charging pack for my cell phone. The heat the vest gives off is enough yo take the chill off. I wear them pretty much every fall to late winter outing now.
Old 11-01-2021, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting the results Hank. Unfortunately, we get a lot of spammers on here and ask a single question and then ghost on us. Since you're upland hunting, have you considered layering for your jacket/shirts? Upland hunting can mean a lot of hiking and layers would be nice if you get too warm from all the hiking.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use layering too. Hard to beat if you're hiking a lot, even in cold weather.
Old 11-06-2021, 03:02 AM
Spike

that layering discussion is quite good.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:37 PM
JW
Super Moderator

To add
i use Duluth Trading post polyester long johns and top. I start with light wt. Duluths underwear doesn't hold moisture and that is key to staying warm.
I also wear a pair of knee high Jobst sock followed by a good wool sock.
i pretty much wear Mucks Woody knee high neoprene boot year long.
If really cold I'll switch to sorels.

Then i wear a chamois shirt. I have light wta to heavy wt as it gets colder.

And dont forget your hat. Ball cap toKromer cap late winter
And i like neck gaters. Gteat to wear when i sit.

Most times when i walk in my shirt is open my coat znd vest strapped to my pack as i want to dump body heat and not sweat. Moisture makes you cold.
As i cool down i start layering.back up.

I also have fleece fingerless gloves and i use Hot hands gor hand warmers. I aleays have a few packs in my pack.

JW
Old 11-22-2021, 03:52 AM
JW
Super Moderator

And yet one more top.
2 pairs of socks as mentionef
My base sock is a knee high Jobst compression sock. Why
Sitting a long time is poor for leg circulation. That dock helps prevent issues such ad blood clots. Im d

JW
Old 11-20-2022, 04:12 PM
Spike

I am not sure if this is the correct place for this but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a vest for my father. He has had a few surgeries on his shoulder and it makes it very difficult for him to get his vest on. To the point that one of us has to help him get it on.

I didn't know if any of you could recommend a good vest for hunters who have limited range of motion in their shoulders?