Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Shot my first grouse!

Old 09-19-2021, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shot my first grouse!

So, I shot my first grouse today! I am pretty happy. Here is the story:

I was out scouting for a spot to hunt, and I discovered a spot I thought I would look at. Its public land, signs say you can hunt in it.

While walking through thick brush, I jumped a bunch of birds. They were grouse, no doubt in my mind, but I couldnt tell the species, as I couldnt get close enough without them flying off.

I went home and looked at the season details by Idaho Fish and Game. They went into season on August 30th. I got dressed in my hunting outfit, grabbed my gun and ammo, and went back there.

One hour later, I shot my first grouse. Then, I was faced with a problem. I could not tell what species of grouse it was. I compared it to the pictures on the bird ID that IDFG has, and I couldnt figure it out. I am pretty sure it is a ruffed grouse, a friend in wildlife management said the same thing, a female ruffed grouse, but she was not sure herself.

Now, granted, I need to be sure of my target in the future, so I don't shoot the wrong thing. Lesson learned.

What type of grouse is this? Can anyone tell? I already ruled out sharp tailed grouse, the tail doesnt match.

Jared
Attached Thumbnails Shot my first grouse!-grouse_1.jpg   Shot my first grouse!-grouse_2.jpg  
Old 09-19-2021, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

to ID the bird you need to show better pictures, including the head and tail if you can

as it could be a ruffed or maybe a spruce grouse or??
also might help if you say where it was killed at, in general, to know what species of grouse are typical in that area
either way ,
congrats on your first grouse!
Old 09-19-2021, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mrbb
to ID the bird you need to show better pictures, including the head and tail if you can

as it could be a ruffed or maybe a spruce grouse or??
also might help if you say where it was killed at, in general, to know what species of grouse are typical in that area
either way ,
congrats on your first grouse!
Killed in Lincoln county, Idaho. As for better pictures, I’m afraid it’s too late. It’s already processed and eaten. I can post what pictures I got tomorrow morning, though. It’s 10:00 PM here. I need to hit the sack. Will post those pictures in the morning.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

It looks like a Hungarian partridge to me. We had them where I used to live. Was it in a big flock in open brush? Ruffed grouse would be a woodland bird in small flocks or single.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:06 AM
Fork Horn

It was in open brush, flock of about 7 birds. I have come across alone ones also.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like a Hungarian partridge, also called gray partridge, not fully colored up. See photo. They are very good eating. https://depositphotos.com/104871768/...attention.html

Last edited by Oldtimr; 09-20-2021 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr

Looks like a Hungarian partridge, also called gray partridge, not fully colored up. See photo. They are very good eating. https://depositphotos.com/104871768/...attention.html

Good morning everyone! You’re right, it’s a gray Partridge, not a grouse. Just looked at Fish and Game again, and found it. They went into season on September 18. Daily bag limit here is 8.

You are also right about them being good eating!

Thanks for helping me identify it. I appreciate it.

Jared
Old 09-20-2021, 12:22 PM
Spike

Congrats on your first bird!!!

I scored a bit last Saturday on our Mn opener....after missing 4 ruffies in a row to close out last season I was REALLY bummed out all off season....
I did redeem myself and knocked down my first and only bird on Saturday while hanging trail cams....it is still very leafy and I couldn't see if it went down but I could hear it flopping in the underbrush and my trusty bird dog found it in a jiffy.
Grilled it up with some jalapeno poppers that evening....DELISH!!
Old 09-23-2021, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats to both of you! Sounds like you had fun hunts.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

As others have already noted, not a grouse. Grouse are 2 to 3 times the size of a partridge which is what you have there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.