Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
opinions on bird recovery in Montana >

opinions on bird recovery in Montana

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

opinions on bird recovery in Montana

Old 02-17-2020, 03:45 AM
Spike

I tried to make a reply a few days ago but I must have messed it up somehow so I will try again. Basically I want to share some ideas that have paid off in finding decent places to hunt over the years. First, I take the PDJ and use their estimations about bird populations as a starter, but I have found them to be sometimes overly optimistic . A couple years ago for example, they were saying Montana was great right on the year of the terrible plummet of bird numbers. It is info that gives you a start but as the saying goes, "Trust but verify."

I always make effort to not only contact the state's game dept. (however they are called), by email, but always give my phone number and ask if their game biologist will give me a call. Mention particular areas you are considering. Last year the bird biologist for the area from Havre to Shelby called me and discussed just what he was seeing in the field in September! Also, I always invite any person that calls me to come hunt with me for a day if they are available. This has really paid off in Maine, Montana, and Wisconsin. If they can get a day off, they will usually guide you to a good public land spot. If they can get a day off, they want to get into birds, too!

Finally, in your home territory, offer to mentor a young person in getting started in bird hunting. Good thing to do anyway, but mention to your game dept. that you want to take a kid hunting and you will get all kinds of helpful advice.

Hope this helps others to get some good info. Feel free to share your best spots with me!!LOL