Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

scent?

Old 08-13-2018, 05:04 PM
Spike

Default scent?

I bought a bottle of pheasant scent and am gong to hide a few dummies in the tall grass to work on holding point with my Gsp. I was wondering how much to squirt on each one? 1/4 bottle or 1/2 bottle or less?
Old 08-13-2018, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

A drop or two would suffice....it works to some degree, I prefer working with pheasant wings if you can find them, not only smells right, it get's your pup use to feathers.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Agreed, I used pheasant and chukar wings. I have no idea what is in those artificial scents, I wanted to use the real thing.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:47 PM
Spike

I have some wings in the freezer from last fall will they smell if I thaw them out and use them?
Old 08-16-2018, 02:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes they will be fine. When I have a pup I freeze wings to use in training. I break them out one at a time. use them and put them back in the freezer a couple of times and toss them. I also use a wing on a long string tied to a long stick or bamboo pole to teach the pup to hold point.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SHORN
I have some wings in the freezer from last fall will they smell if I thaw them out and use them?
Yes, that's exactly what I do... They work fine. I prefer not to use artificial smells in hunting, fishing, etc. if there are more natural options.