HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Kansas pheasant? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/416784-kansas-pheasant.html)

SHORN 01-07-2018 05:47 AM

Kansas pheasant?

Me and some friends are thinking about heading to Kansas for a late season pheasant hunt. We are looking at the Hill City area. None of us have been to Kansas hunting before. We chose this site as it looks like a lot of WIHA land. I was curious to how the numbers of birds are and what to expect for terrain? Any other information would be appreciated.

KSBuck1977 01-07-2018 11:51 AM

Good area and you should be able to get into birds. I haven't hunted that area but have some buddies that do and they get into birds. The area gets a lot of pressure early on, not sure but it should be better late season.

super8fullstrut 03-02-2018 07:11 PM

I just seen this post, wondering how your hunt went. Me and my dad went out there the second week of january to hunt. We stayed with some friends just west of hill city. We hunted walk in and private land and killed quail and pheasants both. The pheasants, for the most part, were flushing out in front of us but the dogs did point a few. Overall it was a great week.

super8fullstrut 03-02-2018 07:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple pics.

SHORN 04-01-2018 05:09 AM

super8fullstrut we were probably out there the same week. We seen a lot of birds (at least compared to what we see in Wisconsin) We had the same hunting conditions the birds got up way out in front of the dogs. It was our first time there, we are planning to go back next winter. I have a 1year old gsp that I try to keep in close he seemed to point more then the dogs that cover a lot of ground.

SHORN 04-01-2018 05:37 AM

my gsp came from Indiana. I got him when he was 10 or 11 months old through a friend that knew he needed to be rehomed. The guy that had him lost the papers and I am trying to get them. I believe the breeder was from around Franklin Ind.

MudderChuck 04-01-2018 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by SHORN (Post 4332007)
super8fullstrut we were probably out there the same week. We seen a lot of birds (at least compared to what we see in Wisconsin) We had the same hunting conditions the birds got up way out in front of the dogs. It was our first time there, we are planning to go back next winter. I have a 1year old gsp that I try to keep in close he seemed to point more then the dogs that cover a lot of ground.

Our Pheasant are prone to hide in the hedge rows. Just a guesstimate, but for every one to that flushes early there are two that hide. And either flush late or not at all.

I've had them eventually flush after the dogs had been through the same hedgerow multiple times. My Weimaraner was a nose dog, he'd work the same spot over and over again following scent. His persistence often paid off.

Now I have a pair of Terriers that can really get in the thick stuff and flush Pheasant. One is nose dominant and the other is just super busy.

CGD 04-09-2018 02:58 PM

Went to Kansas over Christmas for a waterfowl/upland hunt with a buddy, man did we struggle. Couldn't get on waterfowl so we spent most our time chasing pheasants and quail and we were terrible at that too lol. I had a great time however and I will definitely go back again!!!

SHORN 04-13-2018 04:28 PM

I talked to guy from Colorado when I was there. He was there over Christmas also he showed me videos of some of the birds it seemed like they where holding better he did have some really good dogs.
CGD where in Wisconsin are you from? I am from north west Wisconsin.

CGD 04-14-2018 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by SHORN (Post 4332977)
I talked to guy from Colorado when I was there. He was there over Christmas also he showed me videos of some of the birds it seemed like they where holding better he did have some really good dogs.
CGD where in Wisconsin are you from? I am from north west Wisconsin.

South East, I'm an hour from Madison, an hour from Milwaukee, and 10 min from the state line. Talked to my buddy earlier this week and it sounds like we may go back over Christmas again this year but ditch the waterfowl gear and pack more dogs. Hopefully those guys start seeing rains soon otherwise bird numbers could be tough.