HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Farm birds impair hunting dogs ability? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/416172-farm-birds-impair-hunting-dogs-ability.html)

bird dog 123 11-08-2017 01:42 PM

Farm birds impair hunting dogs ability?

I have 2 GSPs one is 3 and the other is 1.5 yeas old. I recently purchased some chickens ducks and geese as pets for my kids. A friend told me that having birds around them all of the time will impair their drive and ability to hunt due to the constant presence of bird scent. The dogs are never out while the birds graze thus no direct contact. Is this true?

Oldtimr 11-11-2017 08:51 AM

Don't worry about it, at my club we at times have birds in a pen till we release them. My setter or no one else's pointing breeds really bother with them except young pups will sight point them.

mestenos 11-14-2017 08:10 PM

My labs were as birdy as ever after we got chickens, although they never bothered the chickens unless they tried to steal food. The breeder I got my golden from keeps chickens running out in the open all the time and her dogs are some of the birdiest, most excited dogs I've ever seen.

theoutdoordirection 11-24-2017 08:11 PM

I think you should be fine. My GSP gets exposed to all different types of birds and animals, both out in the field and throughout the neighborhood. Her drive hasn't changed at all. I think it's all in the genetics - not necessarily more or less exposure.

mrbb 11-25-2017 06:04 AM

I'd agree don't worry about it, just do your part right with training, teach your dog to know the difference in when your HUNTING and when your not
My last lab grew up and lived about domestic animals, chickens, ducks and cows horses, goats and even Bears and deer about all the time(and thousands I think of chipmunks and squirrels and song birds(bird feeder magnets with heart beats LOL)

and he woul;dn;'t even so much as bother a thing, unless I told him to, he had a ON -OFF switch to hunting mode and knew the difference, seeing a shogun being carried gave him a sign Hunting and fun was about to happen
Dogs are a LOT smarter than many folks give them credit, BUT like all things you get out of them what you put into them, training is your job, genetic will be what they are, but good training will afford you a way better dog than relying on genetics ever will IMO a great natural nose is special at times, but most decent bred hunting dogs have a 1,000 x better nose than me and you. so most all dogs can get into the game and be productive IF you teach them to do so, and have FUN at it, all training should end on a fun note
if you DON"T want them chasing NON game animals NEVER let them, and they will learn the difference!, IF you again do YOUR part and teach them so!

AlphaDog2017 12-07-2017 07:38 PM

Completely agree, you should be fine.

The only exception to this is after hunting game farms my dog seems to consider good pheasant sign ATV tracks in the snow. It's not a huge deal since he still dominates on wild birds, mostly just him being lazy. It definitely reminds you at a game farm when he does it though!