Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Hawks

Old 09-16-2017, 08:30 AM
Spike

Question Hawks

THIS THREAD IS OVER. It was a stupid idea.

Hey everyone! First post here. I have a .243 rifle. The problem is I also have a lot of hawks and some chickens.
By state law, I can kill a hawk if it is attacking my chickens. I will pay the fine if I must, it's less expensive than my chickens, even though I shouldn't have to because of livestock damage laws.
So, my questions are:
1. I'm a decent shot from about 100 yards inward. I would use a hollow point that's made for wide wound channels so I could be a few inches off and still hit. With the target knob on my scope set to exactly the distance that I ranged the bird at, would I hit the bird if I was on the ground shooting upwards (not directly up of course, but forward and a little up) and it was in a tree (decently low branch) readying itself to kill my chickens? If not, how should I adjust my shooting to be able to hit it? Should I stick a target in a tree and practice?
2. If I hit it off target (rear end, or too high, or too low, etc) with the .243 expanding would it still drop right there--or at least die that day?
3. If I put a hole through the wing or both wings can it still fly away and die where I can't track it? I'll want to bury it so no one finds it with a hole and thinks I poached it.
4. Can I take a frontal shot? How about a back shot? Is broadside doable?
5. Where are the vitals on a hawk?
6. Will the .243 completely blow away the hawk, or will it mostly be in one piece?

We're talking Cooper's, Ferruginous, Red-Tailed, and Red-Shouldered.
Please don't give me "that's illegal" comments. I have already dealt with that. Just answer the questions to the best of your ability

Last edited by Wolven; 09-25-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I highly doubt you can kill a hawk that is killing your chickens since birds of prey are protected by Federal law and killing hawks gets real expensive real quick. Since the state may not over ride federal law and allow something that is illegal under federal law or jurisdiction. Because of that, I don't believe you state will allow you to kill hawks. The only chance would be a joint state/federal depredation permit which the feds are not very liberal with. Yes I will give you that is illegal crap, because it is! BTW, the federal fines are not less than the cost of your chickens. Additionally, shooting up in the air at hawks with a high powered rifle ...Deleted by CalHunter... irresponsible and I am positive your Game department didn't give you the go ahead on that. ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 09-16-2017 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Rule # 2--7-day temp ban--again
Old 09-16-2017, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You shoot one and another will move in. I see no percentage in shooting Hawks. Unlikely to be an up side, likely to be more trouble than it's worth.

Most are gun shy, a few shotgun blasts into the air (or fire crackers) is likely to encourage them to move on. Most times I just clap my hands loudly and they move on.

Most Hawks are afraid of birds bigger than they are. I had no Hawk issues when I kept three Geese and a Gander with my chickens.

Guinea hens go nuts anytime there is a Hawk around. The down side to Guinea hens is they are not good breeders and dumb as rocks. Some take off never to return, they are likely to move into a neighbors tree a hundred yards away. Your flock of Guineas slowly shrinks down to nothing.

I put a large pile of smaller branches around, Guineas sound the alarm and the Chickens head for the coop or the brush pile. Geese get combative. A small blackberry thicket also works well.

Long range tactics and planning are more likely to get results, picking off a few Hawks is unlikely to be effective.

And lastly what goes up must come down, where is that bullet going after it hits a Hawk. You are responsible for it.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Do not shoot up in the air with a .243.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...ticle-1.994626

Again, please, do not do this. All legal things aside, it's a horrible idea.

-Jake
Old 09-16-2017, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

like others have said, shooting at birds of prey in tree's is super dangerous, a .243 bullet will pas right thru a hawk, or like bird and still travel FAR< up to 2-3 miles or MORE
the FACT you wish to bury it, already imply's you know its wrong! and I agree Illegal

if your chickens are being attached by a Hawk, and you LEGALLY can shoot it,
you have to shoot it while its attacking NOT a random hawk in a tree that may or may not be the same bird!

your asking for trouble here with shooting protected birds

better idea and CHEAPER than a federal fine, is BUY some netting and place it above your chicken coop to protect them
IF you have free roaming chickens, YOU just asking for a few to go MIA, its PART of having them free roam

I have had chickens and know many that do
they DON"T cost any where as much as a fine for shooting a protected bird of prey!
Please DON"T shoot high power rifles into the air, its just Unsafe and can KILL someone!
Old 09-16-2017, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

My chickens free range. This year I added three guinea hens and haven't lost any chickens all summer. Probably the first summer I haven't lost any birds at all.

I don't know what those guineas do.. But it seems to be working.
-Jake
Old 09-16-2017, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Probably make a lot of noise when try see a hawk and the rest of the chickens run under cover. Guineas are good watchdogs and they eat lots of ticks.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:15 PM
Spike

@Oldtimr although you could have said that more nicely you are right.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:20 PM
Spike

@MudderChuck Guineas, geese, and firecrackers it is, then; I'll get a couple. Thank you.
@Bocajnala Ouch! I'm convinced, no shooting hawks....
@mrbb ^
Old 09-17-2017, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

We always kept guineas for watch "dogs". They work great and are mostly self sufficient. Ours would roost in a tree near the coop at night.

They can be a bit loud though and they can be annoying to other farm birds if you have too many.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.