Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Anal Glands

Old 07-08-2017, 04:10 PM
Spike

Default Anal Glands

Has any of you had your dog's anal glands removed??? I am having trouble with my 2 year old, he has had his infected and treated with antibiotics and even had them flushed and packed the last time. He has had them drained three times in the past couple of months. The antibiotics doesn't seem to work and I am researching having them taken out. Any comments will be appreciated - the information I received from DOC on using laser treatments on his torn ACL did the job and now it is Anal issues. Oh Well
Old 07-08-2017, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Never heard of removing them. The Basset my folks had was into the Vet several times a year to have his drained and it's a nasty, smelly mess when they do it!
Old 07-09-2017, 02:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I never heard of having them removed either, it is my understanding that their purpose is to lubricate the anus for bowel movements. Some dogs have problems with them and some don't. Rather than asking laymen on a message board a call to your vet would be the best way to get info.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Spike

Default Anal Glands

Thanks for your input - Surgery has been an option for some time for removal of the glands it is just a last option - I just thought some of you had some experience regarding the surgery - I work closely with my vet - I thought this blog was an opportunity to discuss issues - at least that was my impression. I do thank you for indicating you know nothing about anal gland surgery - better wrap this up.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by aceman12
Thanks for your input - Surgery has been an option for some time for removal of the glands it is just a last option - I just thought some of you had some experience regarding the surgery - I work closely with my vet - I thought this blog was an opportunity to discuss issues - at least that was my impression. I do thank you for indicating you know nothing about anal gland surgery - better wrap this up.
Glad you "wrapped it up" because that was a completely "dick" type message and as a "newbie" if you continue like that it's doubtful you'll receive anything but "dick like" responses in the future! Sorry neither of us old timers that have had a number of dogs in our lifetime hadn't heard of what you were asking about and apparently no other members did either or you would have had more than two comments on your question!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-10-2017 at 05:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Spike

Default Anal Glands

Thanks Topgun I am glad we cleared up who the dick heads are.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by aceman12
Thanks Topgun I am glad we cleared up who the dick heads are.
You had better quit while you're way behind, LOL! By the way, you stated right in your initial post that all comments would be appreciated---NOT! We offered what we could as two elderly gentlemen that have had a lot of dogs over the years and not heard of anal gland surgery/removal, so sue us for God's sake. Nobody else came on the thread to offer anything at all, so maybe you should throw darts at all the members who didn't respond at all! Anal gland removal must be a very uncommon thing and what Oldtimr stated was exactly on the money. It makes absolutely no sense at all when people come on sites asking medical questions when there are professionals out there that have spent the biggest share of their lives going to school and have made the medical profession their career! Now maybe you should go see your Vet and get the dog taken care of properly and quit being a wise acre because you certainly aren't any good at it!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-10-2017 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-12-2017, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Years ago, I had the glands removed from Lady. Everything was good after the surgery. She didn't appreciate having to wear the cone over her head while healing. I emptied the glands myself for a while, but the surgery was the best option.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:38 PM
Spike

Thanks Redgreen for your response, I am still working with my vet to determine if surgery is the right option. In the past I have had to deal with anal glands with my hunting dogs but not to the extent that this dog is having problems. You are the first person I have heard that has had the procedure done on their dog. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:12 PM
Spike

mine hurt all of the time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.