HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Not much talk about hunting huns and sharpies in montana? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/414399-not-much-talk-about-hunting-huns-sharpies-montana.html)

h8Brick 06-19-2017 05:04 PM

Not much talk about hunting huns and sharpies in montana?

I am going to Montana middle of sept for 10 days in the ne part of state , I never have been but looking to hunt a different bird and just have fun not make a job of it lol I hear the pressure isn't that bad in early season, cant wait to go, I don't think 4 dogs will be enough but it is what it is lol I am really worried about the snakes and porcupines there?

Oldtimr 06-20-2017 03:21 AM

That is some very big country. Three of my friends went to Plentywood Montana area which is right on the Canadian border to hunt Huns. They had two dogs and they said they couldn't nearly cover the fields effectively. If you are a wing shooter you should like Huns. They are fast and go out and up and put a lot of room between you and them quickly. I have shot Huns, not out west. They are about the best eating of the game birds.

h8Brick 06-20-2017 12:27 PM

I will love any type of different bird other than quail and pheasant that is here in ks not that I don't like hunting them just would love to hunt a different bird and always wanted to go to montana to bird hunt

mthusker 06-28-2017 02:25 PM

The dates you are coming to Montana, one would have to keep in mind snakes and porcupines depending on the area you are in. It is a tough place for dogs and people. Could be hot as 4th of July, or snowing, or do both on your trip here. Eastern part of the state, especially NE area is in a severe drought right now, If rain does not come soon, there will be limitations on where one can hunt due to land closures. I love hun's they are a fun bird to hunt and as table fare, awesome. There are places where you can find numerous covey's in a day, others you might not see any, good luck on narrowing your search, that is half the satisfaction of hunting.

h8Brick 07-02-2017 09:04 AM

I cancelled my reservations in the ne corner I heard the same thing , its in bad shape here , I moved a couple hundred miles south

18 car 11-16-2017 08:30 AM

Sharps and Huns

Yes- northeastern MT did suffer an extreme drought and it raised heck with pheasant numbers but there were plenty of Sharpies and Huns. Snakes and porkies are always a concern. I have my pups trained to avoid porkies. Lived and hunted in MT all my life. Had one rattler bite a dog. Quick vet service saved the pup albeit quite expensive. Hope next year weather cooperates for a better ringneck hatch and survival rate.

jessica2008 06-12-2022 11:22 PM

Montana is well known for its rich wildlife and place prosperous in minerals, gold, and silver.

jessica2008 06-22-2022 07:00 PM

Red birds of north America are plentiful.

jessica2008 06-23-2022 05:06 PM

Red birds of north America are plentiful.

jessica2008 06-23-2022 06:31 PM

Adult birds have their own names for each species, but what about young birds? Do they have their own names as well?