Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
Anybody Getting any Grouse ? >

Anybody Getting any Grouse ?

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Anybody Getting any Grouse ?

Old 10-01-2016, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anybody Getting any Grouse ?

Out here, Grouse season started out a little slow, but as the temps have dropped and we've gotten a little moisture, things have definitely picked up.
"Prize bird" of the year has been a 2 lb 13 oz Blue. Three ounces less than three pounds is a really nice bird.
Still need some actual rain though to bring the Shaggy Manes up better. We have gotten into some small groups of 'shrooms, but only enough to use as side dishes and not enough for a meal.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

I was enjoying my morning coffee in my hot tub the other morning when my (just turned) one year old golden retriever comes up on my deck with her first bird, a ruffed grouse in her mouth. Apparently, the grouse flew into a window on the side of my house and broke its neck.

The bird was still warm, so it had just been killed. I marinated the meat in Italian salad dressing, and cooked it for dinner that night. I enjoyed the breast, and gave her the legs.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Boy Buff, between the 2 of you, you got this stuff down without even firing a shot - LOL !!!
Old 10-06-2016, 05:53 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I'm finding good numbers in WI.
However the best is yet to come. .....to many leaves. And Timberdoodles too.

JW
Old 10-07-2016, 06:24 AM
Spike

Heard lots of birds get up last weekend but the leaves were still up and I couldn't see much at all. I'm headed up to hang deer stands tomorrow and hopefully the visibility has improved with the breezy weather this week. I'll be on the hunt for grouse and hopefully some ducks/geese will be flying too.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lack of Grouse

There has been a lack of grouse for the last forty years. It's a tough bird to raise.
Modern man has a hard time. Few birds and tough hunting in a tougher habitat and mountaineous climbs.

First the hunter, whose just about in shape for level climbs. He lasts about twenty years. Some with trained dogs last a little longer.
The non-hunting game personnel work about the same time. Raising grouse and keeping a good deer herd in existence. A tough job on so short a plan.

The timberer who has nothing to do with hunting, but everything to do with grouse survival. And he cuts timber based on how many folks want lumber. Not based on how many grouse wandered a woods.
In the last ten years there's been a recession, cutting the public need for timbered trees. Hunters don't usually wonder about that.

Use to hunt a timber company's land. That ended when the timber company sold their large holdings. They knew what they were doing some 25 years ago. Grew trees for paper; the kind used in newspapers. There are a lot less newspapers today and papers from newspaper companies. The hometown papers lost one of two. And outdoor newspaper writers went from two to zero. Business had something, magically, to do with grouse. And sometimes it takes forty years to watch it.

State game agencies need more money, hunters want it to stay the same. Been awhile since workers at game agencies worked for $100 a week. Hunters are a little edgy on economic figures.

Grouse depend on a lot of different people. And grouse were short forty years ago. No wonder.

Not many of us grouse hunters who hunt with their feet. Feet for climbing. Feet for raising up the absent grouse; no dogs along. Listening for them drumming on an old downed log.

Last edited by Valentine; 02-10-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do you sleep during the day, as it seems all your ramblings are done during the night hours when everyone else is sleeping?
Old 12-09-2019, 06:02 PM
Spike

Default Greenbrier County WV

I'm see good numbers hunting clearcuts
Old 12-30-2019, 05:18 AM
Spike

As far as I know ruffed grouse never have able to be raised in captivity. I have been hunting ruffed grouse and woodcock since 1957 and plan to keep going as long as possible. I got a new Brittany pup this summer to replace the last two I lost over the past couple of years. Rusty and I got eight times this fall and enjoyed ourselves, I am looking forward to the 2020 season with him which will his first full season. Our Season opens on Oct 1 here.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:27 AM
Banned

Default Anybody Getting any Grouse

Do people shoot grouse on the Bow hunt because they can get so close? I notice a few grouse dead during the bow hunt that I am not sure why they are dead though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.