HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Upland Hunting Tips (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/40837-upland-hunting-tips.html)

PAhunter86 10-22-2003 06:52 PM

Upland Hunting Tips

I' m going upland bird hunting for the first time on Friday. Just wondering if anyone can give me some pointers. Thanks;)

blackliner 10-22-2003 08:18 PM

RE: Upland Hunting Tips

Like so many of the disciplines of the art of hunting, Upland hunting must first be experienced to know how little you know. Hopefully, you are hunting with some strongly ethical and safe hunters. They will help to mold the mindset with which you approach Upland hunting.

Judging by the number of posts you have, I am guessing that you are already an avid hunter of some sort, and understand the ethic of a sportsman.

Some simple tips:

Don' t boss another man' s dog (even if you see him misbehave). If the dog is uncontrollable, be polit and look for other hunting partners.

Also, NO flock shooting- pick a target and follow it through.

Respect your hunting partners shooting lanes. Back them up if they need it, but don' t steal their opportunity for a shot.

Finally, don' t be dicouraged if game is scarce. Upland birds are highly unpredictable and difficult to pattern. A field that is loaded with birds one day may be barren the next.

Grizzlybear 10-23-2003 09:56 AM

Are you hunting on a preserve or public land?

seattlesetters 10-23-2003 10:40 AM

PAHunter86 - For the love of God, man, don' t do it!

If you do and have any success, you can then expect a lifetime of: Shotgun trading, dog trading, endless days pouring through pedigrees, long drives on very poor roads, smelly trucks, feathers everywhere, looking at countless litters of puppies and wanting to take every single one home even when you determine that the particular breeding you are looking at isn' t what you want, hunting with other people' s dogs that are pure renegades in every sense of the word but that they think are the greatest dogs of all time, your best dog stabbing you in the heart in front of your best hunting buddies right after you get through bragging on him (or her), missing more birds than you hit, marriage counseling, losing a great dog well before its time, getting stuck in the snow, getting stuck in the mud, sore ankles, dropping your finest shotgun on rocks, blowing the right barrel out of your prized 20-bore double (a $2,000/1year repair), having to occasionally hunt with German Shorthairs ;), having every member of your hunting party shoot birds over your dog except you, making the best shot of your life on a screaming hungarian partridge and then not being able to find it, cleaning out messy crates, paw prints on the carpet, pee on the carpet, pee on your buddy' s leg, shredded screen doors, chewed furniture, hundreds of empty shotgun shells and more marriage counseling.

lance0623 10-23-2003 11:52 AM

Dont have a heart attack the first time a rooster or covey of quail explode a foot from you. Good luck!

PAhunter86 10-23-2003 03:18 PM

Thanks guys.:D I really aprreciate it;)

By the way, its public land and i will be hunting with more experienced and safe hunters

lance0623 10-25-2003 04:24 PM

So how' d you do?

KENTUCKY BOY 10-26-2003 02:47 AM

KICK THE TREE TOPS, AND LEAD THEM A LITTLE

PAhunter86 10-26-2003 01:57 PM

Missed 2 or 3 pheasants, and got a hen towards the end of the day. It was a lot of fun:D