HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Grouse hunting Potter County, Pa. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/404800-grouse-hunting-potter-county-pa.html)

mackesr 02-24-2016 06:08 AM

Grouse hunting Potter County, Pa.

I recently went on a trip up north to my Brother in laws cabin up in Potter Co, Pa. near Austin and the SouthWoods Rd. Its located near all kinds of State Forest hunting and fishing and am extremely interested in bringing up my GSH pointer for next grouse season. I have been researching the State Game maps and located recent clear cuts for possible hunting spots. I am going back up for the opening of trout season and want to do some more scouting for grouse areas while there. I am an ethical hunter and not one to over hunt any area and I know most bird hunters do not give out their best coverts, but if anyone could give me some decent places to try in that area, it would be greatly appreciated.

JW 02-25-2016 07:46 AM

While trout fishing look for transition edges. Tag Alder next to a Popple or hard woods or pine line of trees.

Also while trout fishing get out there early - at daybreak - first light and listen for drumming. Rule of thumb - one drumming grouse = 6 birds in the area.

JW

mackesr 02-25-2016 10:12 AM

Thanks JW, I will definitely be on the lookout for that type of cover and to listen for the drumming as well. I was also going to scout along the gravel roads to see if I spot any birds getting some pebbels and marking those locations. From what I have been reading its some really tough hunting and not to expect a lot of birds. I am looking forward to the new experience and my GSP is trained to hunt pretty close to me so hopefully I can knock some down for her.

Oldtimr 02-25-2016 10:45 AM

Grouse hunters hunt with their feet more than their gun. It take a lot of walking to find good grouse coverts, that is why info about them is rarely given out even to friends. Look for aspen trees, wild grape and greenbriar. Grouse habitat is thick and not fun to hunt. It is easy to overshoot a covert so if you find one or two, don't go back too often and tell no one but your dog. Remember "three can keep a secret, if, two are dead".:biggrin:

mackesr 02-25-2016 11:29 AM

Roger that Oldtimr! Thanks for the suggestions and I will definitely not be over hunting any particular coverts that I do find.

JW 02-25-2016 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by mackesr (Post 4246850)
Thanks JW, I will definitely be on the lookout for that type of cover and to listen for the drumming as well. I was also going to scout along the gravel roads to see if I spot any birds getting some pebbels and marking those locations. From what I have been reading its some really tough hunting and not to expect a lot of birds. I am looking forward to the new experience and my GSP is trained to hunt pretty close to me so hopefully I can knock some down for her.

Scouting around gravel roads I find more birds in the mid to late afternoon and especially on sunny days. I actually mark those spots using my truck's GPS. Soo if you where riding with me watching my GPS we might come on a G16 waypoint. I use a G and then a lower case letter, a, b,c, etc. and the 16 is the yr. That is how I mark my drumming. And those places I usually find a bit of gravel pecking.

JW

mackesr 02-29-2016 07:57 AM

Thanks JW, I will keep that in mind.

SiemHunt 04-07-2016 02:41 AM

Hey guys, don't know if this is the right place btw, but I'd love to go hunting somewhere in the states. Do you have some more info on hunt-travelling? I'm from the Netherlands btw