Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Small Game Guns

Old 07-25-2015, 04:29 PM
Spike

Default Small Game Guns

Today I began looking for a general small game gun (pheasant, grouse, rabbit) and at the 4 local stores I found 3 that interested me that I don't know much about so hopefully someone can give some useful information. I found a Belgian Browning 16 GA A-5 in good condition for $350, an Ugartechea from Spain 12 GA side by side in excellent condition for $599 and then a Franchi 48AL 20 GA in very good condition for $500. Honestly, my favorite and the one I'm leaning towards is the Franchi for the way it felt and how light it would be walking around the field. Anyone know anything about these guns??
Old 07-25-2015, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

All are excellent, well made shotguns. If you like the Franchi then go for it, as nobody can tell you what you will like.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Go for what feels good to you, you won't be happy other wise.

Al
Old 07-26-2015, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Sportsman335
Honestly, my favorite and the one I'm leaning towards is the Franchi for the way it felt and how light it would be walking around the field.
I don't know that Spanish gun.

Everyone know and loves Browning Belgian shotguns, but 16 gauge ammo "can" be hard to come by.

I recommended the Franchi SXS to a buddy of mine and he loves it.

However as you have already heard; the best gun for YOU, is the one that fits/feel best to YOU !!!

Old 07-26-2015, 09:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ugartechea makes a good gun, I wold assume from the price it s a boxlock, tey make some very expensive sidelock guns, I would rather have it than the Franchi.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's some info on that Spanish gun (looks like a good buy).

http://www.doubleshotguns.com/ugartechea.html

Oldtimer - thanks for bring this to my attention !
Old 07-26-2015, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

You are welcome. I owned a Franchi O/U 12 ga. While I was in the Navy,I bought it right from the factory in 1965, at price no one would believe today. I soild it a few years ago. I am a side by each guy so I sold it to get some money towards a SXS .28 gauge DeHann. I still eye those Ugartecheas every time I see them.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-26-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:13 AM
Spike

So just a little update, on Monday I was set to go to the store to pick up the Franchi but I just felt like I needed to go take another look at the 12 gauge side by side, especially after reading great reviews about Ugartechea. Low and behold, yesterday I checked out the SxS...and I walked out with it. Called a couple of my friends, we went right upstate with some shells, some targets and some clays. I'll just say that after about 60 shots run through the gun, I have no regrets! Turns out to not only be a pretty gun but a great shooting gun, as I already nailed a few clays. In the beginning I set out looking for a side by side, and boy did I get a nice one. (Knock on wood) Thanks everybody for the input!
Old 07-29-2015, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think you will find you made a good decision. Good luck with it.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

After years of shooting a lot of different shotguns I have pretty much decided that my BSS in 20 ga with the straight grip is now my "go to gun". It fits me well and I can hit what i shoot at with it.

I have a Belgian made Browning Sweet 16 but pretty much retired it since ammo is hard to find and I have never found any steel loads for it and most of my small game hunting takes place where jump shooting a few ducks is likely so I need to be able to shoot steel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.